Series A, Episode 8 - Albania
- Elephants can become drunk by eating fruit which ferments in their stomachs. Correction: This is a myth. The fruit they eat does not ferment in their stomachs. The only way an elephant can get drunk is to have an alcoholic drink.
- A "Bradford" is a cocktail that is shaken, not stirred. The "Vesper" cocktail was invented in Casino Royale.
- C. B. Fry could jump backwards onto a mantelpiece from a standing position without losing his balance, held the world long-jump record, played in an F.A. cup final, could speak several languages, and was offered the throne of Albania, but turned it down.
- The Albanian language has several words for eyebrows. A Vetullushe is goat with brown eyebrows.
- The "Pink fairy" is a type of armadillo. The "Green Fairy" is a nickname for absinthe.
- Benjamin Franklin thought it would be a good idea to find a way to stop flatulence from smelling bad.
- The first processed food sold by H. J. Heinz in 1869 was horseradish. (Forfeit: Tomato Ketchup; Baked Beans)
- Fingernails and hair do not grow after you die. The skin tightens creating the illusion of growth.
- Bananas come from an herb. (Forfeit: Trees)
- A "Lili" is the offspring of a liger and a lion. A "Titi" is the offspring of a tigon and a tiger.
- The phrase, "Survival of the fittest" was invented by Herbert Spencer, who also invented the paper clip. (Forfeit: Charles Darwin)
For the correction, see The Second Book of General Ignorance.
- Thursday 30th October 2003
- BBC Two
- 30 minutes
Cast & crew
|Stephen Fry||Host / Presenter|
|Alan Davies||Regular Panellist|
|Jonathan Paul Green||Production Designer|
|Phil Clarke||Executive Producer|