Series N, Episode 5 - Not Nearly
- The correct answer to the question: "Alan, don't you not want some points or not?" is "Yes", although arguably you could answer the question in both the positive and negative as it is not a yes/no question.
- XL: Is it clear that Sandi will be docking points for anyone who uses the words "yes", "yea", "no" or "nay"? The answer is "yea", because they question was positively phrased. (Forfeit: Yes)
- The panel are shown a photo of two men in military uniform on horseback and are asked why the man on the right is such a loser. The man in question, Sgt. Gehnall Persson, took part in the 1948 Olympics for the Swedish Equestrian Team and won gold in the dressage, but his medal was taken away because the French runners-up spotted Persson was wearing a Sergeant's cap. At the time, Olympic Equestrianism was only open to officers and gentlemen, as it was an amateur sport, and the other ranks were considered professionals. Persson has been given a bogus promotion up to lieutenant in order to take part, but he forgot to change his hat and so was caught out. However, the rule was later changed and Persson won gold in the next two Olympics in his old rank.
- The panel are shown another photo, this time of two Olympic rowers and a boy, and are asked what they did when they found out their cox was too big. The answer is they borrowed a child from the crowd. The Dutch cox pair in the 1900 Olympics found that their cox, Hermanus Brockmann, was overweight. Worried they would lose, they spotted that the French were using children as coxes, so they borrowed a 7-to-10-year-old child who had already been turned down by the French. No-one knows the boy's name, but with him the Dutch won gold. However, the boy vanished back into the crowd before he could be presented with a medal, so the boy's gold went to Brockmann, and to this day the boy remains the only anonymous gold winner in the Olympics.
- Out of three bottles of wine, the first priced
- Friday 25th November 2016
- BBC Two
- 30 minutes
- Wednesday 20th June 2018 at 8:00pm on Dave (60 minute version)
- Thursday 21st June 2018 at 6:00pm on Dave (60 minute version)
Cast & crew
|Sandi Toksvig||Host / Presenter|
|Alan Davies||Regular Panellist|
|Victoria Coren Mitchell||Guest|
|James Harkin||Script Editor|
|Mat Coward||Question Writer|
|John Lloyd (as John Lloyd CBE)||Series Producer|
|Sohail Shah||Executive Producer|
|Jonathan Paul Green||Production Designer|