The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ November 12 2009, 10:27 AM GMT

Doesn't Noel Edmonds have something to do with this? Like he owns the production company that makes it? Or something?

Nope. You're on a roll this morning, Chip. Did you forget to take your Sanatogen or something?

(It's Michael Hurll who makes it.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 12 2009, 10:29 AM GMT

Nope. You're on a roll this morning, Chip. Did you forget to take your Sanatogen or something?

(It's Michael Hurll who makes it.)

Yes, and there's a connection with Noel Edmonds and his production company, Unique Television? And Noel used to work with Hurll. They were business partners. I'm sure of it. Sure, damn you!

Michael Hurll Television is a division of Noel's Unique Communications.

IIRC.

Quote: Aaron @ November 12 2009, 10:35 AM GMT

Michael Hurll Television is a division of Noel's Unique Communications.

IIRC.

Cool

Do you want to suck me off now or later, Walker? Cool

Damn! On examining the evidence it appears that you may be right. But does Edmonds actually still own 'Unique Communications' anymore? *clutches at straws*

This year's nominations have been announced

Best Sitcom
The IT Crowd
Outnumbered
Peep Show

Best Comedy Panel Show
Have I Got News For You
Mock The Week
QI

Best Sketch Show
Harry & Paul
The Kevin Bishop Show
That Mitchell and Webb Look

Best Television Comedy Drama
Dead Set
Psychoville
Pulling

Best Comedy Entertainment Programme
Harry Hill's TV Burp
Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow
The Sunday Night Project

Best New British Television Comedy
Alan Carr: Chatty Man
Ladies Of Letters
Psychoville

Best Television Comedy Actor
Simon Bird (for The Inbetweeners)
Rob Brydon (for Gavin & Stacey)
Robert Webb (for Peep Show)

Best Television Comedy Actress
Ruth Jones (for Gavin & Stacey)
Katherine Parkinson (for The IT Crowd)
Claire Skinner (for Outnumbered)

Best Comedy Entertainment Personality
Alan Carr (for Alan Carr: Chatty Man)
Harry Hill (for Harry Hill's TV Burp)
Michael McIntyre (for Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow)

Best Male Comedy Newcomer
Charlie Brooker (for You Have Been Watching)
Tyger Drew-Honey (for Outnumbered)
Daniel Roche (for Outnumbered)

Best Female Comedy Newcomer
Tanya Franks (for Pulling)
Ramona Marquez (for Outnumbered)
Rebekah Staton (for Pulling)

Best Live Stand-Up Performer
Frankie Boyle (Live at the Hackney Empire)
Stewart Lee (Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle)
Michael McIntyre (Live at the Apollo)

Best Comedy Film
Bruno
The Hangover
In The Loop

Looks like a good list, although I'm surprised to find Dead Set on the list. I thought it was a drama/horror?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 18 2009, 7:27 AM GMT

Best Live Stand-up Performer
Stewart Lee - Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

About bleedin' time!

And Charlie Brooker for Best Newcomer! Ha! Bet he'll love that!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 18 2009, 7:27 AM GMT

I'm surprised to find Dead Set on the list. I thought it was a drama/horror?

It's probably nominated on the back of the very funny producer character. He was very funny. And I haven't laughed as much as anything as when he was dismembering the corpse and berating the Big Brother contestants for being lightweights.

Ladies Of Letters??? I'll have to Google that one.

A generally excellent list (certainly compared with some other years). I'm sure Charlie Brooker will not only be delighted at being nominated for Best Comedy Newcomer (Male), but also appreciate the irony of his competitors both being children. :D

Although she's a kid, I would still award little Ramona Best Comedy Newcomer (Female) - she's a natural comic actress, whatever her age.

Fingers crossed for Stewart Lee. Not only is he a better stand-up than the other two nominees, it would also be a sign of the BCAs actually acknowledging an important comedy talent.

Although I too am slightly puzzled with Dead Set being included as a comedy-drama (I'm also slightly puzzled by the other two nominees, to be honest), at least the category doesn't have any utter bollocks nominated in it this year. :)

Interesting that Webb's got the nod for Peep Show. Didn't Mitchell win it last year?

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 18 2009, 10:10 AM GMT

Although I too am slightly puzzled with Dead Set being included as a comedy-drama (I'm also slightly puzzled by the other two nominees, to be honest), at least the category doesn't have any utter bollocks nominated in it this year. :)

I think dead Set is the most comedy-drama of all three. I agree the other two are odd inclusions. I'd put them squarely as sitcoms.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 18 2009, 10:14 AM GMT

Interesting that Webb's got the nod for Peep Show. Didn't Mitchell win it last year?

That's a category I would have liked to have seen poor old Hugh Dennis get a mention in. His performance in Outnumbered is the best he's ever been. I was actually quite shocked that he could be that good.

I enjoy the awards ceremony, but overall the awards to me always feel a bit Cannes Film Festival Palme Door, i.e, they give them out to whoever's quite good and missed out last time.