The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 10

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 10:56 AM GMT

he obviously wasn't trying to be funny but he was.

Ah, a reversal of his normal act then... ;)

No, as I've said, he seemed like a pretty decent chap actually.

At which award ceremony was it that Caroline Aherne seemed to be very ' tired and emotional' , heckled during a moving speech and Nigel Hawthorn told her off?

It was at the BCAs, can't remember which year (but obviously before Nigel Hawthorne died). He was paying tribute to Alan Bennett, who'd won the Writers' Guild Award or some such... Must have been nearly a decade ago?

He is a nice chap and they should'nt have been rude to hi.
was it live last night?

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:38 PM GMT

was it live last night?

Yes. All of it, except for Lee Majors, Vivienne Westwood and Andrew Newman (who was CGI'd into the audience).

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:40 PM GMT

Yes. All of it, except for Lee Majors, Vivienne Westwood and Andrew Newman (who was CGI'd into the audience).

CGI'D?

What does that mean?

So that means they were mean to Michael McIntyre live on telly?
Angry

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:44 PM GMT

So that means they were mean to Michael McIntyre live on telly?

I know, it's shocking, isn't it? They should have done the decent British thing and slagged him off behind his back.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:45 PM GMT

I know, it's shocking, isn't it? They should have done the decent British thing and slagged him off behind his back.

Yes and then I would'nt have had to sit in my room screaming at the TV that they should all learn how to really be funny :D

And leave those who are to themselves.
what did he ever do to them?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:33 PM GMT

It was at the BCAs, can't remember which year (but obviously before Nigel Hawthorne died). He was paying tribute to Alan Bennett, who'd won the Writers' Guild Award or some such... Must have been nearly a decade ago?

That was it. I'm sure it partly influenced the some of the BAFTAs episode of Extras.

I'm just glad that it's not just me that would do something like that. :)

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:47 PM GMT

what did he ever do to them?

I think part of the jealously/dislike from some of the audience stems from the fact that there are probably about 50 established stand ups on the circuit who do the same type of act, to the same standard of ability, and he happens to be the one plucked from the chorus and elevated to stardom.

To be honest, of the material of his I've seen, at least half of it I remember having been done pretty much in one form or another by various comics on the circuit during the 1990s. Not accusing him of plagiarism, of course, I'm merely saying his act isn't considered particularly original or innovative by some. He's a very strong, polished performer, who is willing and able to tailor his act to a mass audience. Well done to him.

He's obviously a decent man trying to earn himself a good living. He has put in a lot of work and fair play to him. But the most successful comedians aren't automatically the best, or indeed the funniest. There are probably a few stand ups on the circuit that you might never hear of, Katie, but if you saw them, you'd rank them funnier and more talented than Mr McIntyre. Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy any comedian you like, it's just that the stand up on TV is a very particular subset of comedy. There are plenty of comics who can do family audience friendly material, although it's fair to say that there are many who would struggle to do so. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:56 PM GMT

I think part of the jealously/dislike from some of the audience stems from the fact that there are probably about 50 established stand ups on the circuit who do the same type of act, to the same standard of ability, and he happens to be the one plucked from the chorus and elevated to stardom.

To be honest, of the material of his I've seen, at least half of it I remember having been done pretty much in one form or another by various comics on the circuit during the 1990s. Not accusing him of plagiarism, of course, I'm merely saying his act isn't considered particularly original or innovative by some. He's a very strong, polished performer, who is willing and able to tailor his act to a mass audience. Well done to him.

He's obviously a decent man trying to earn himself a good living. He has put in a lot of work and fair play to him. But the most successful comedians aren't automatically the best, or indeed the funniest. There are probably a few stand ups on the circuit that you might never hear of, Katie, but if you saw them, you'd rank them funnier and more talented than Mr McIntyre. Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy any comedian you like, it's just that the stand up on TV is a very particular subset of comedy. There are plenty of comics who can do family audience friendly material, although it's fair to say that there are many who would struggle to do so. :)

Unimpressed

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 4:06 PM GMT

Unimpressed

Typical teenager. Rolling eyes

Speak to the hand, etc... Unimpressed

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 4:53 PM GMT

Typical teenager. Rolling eyes

Speak to the hand, etc... Unimpressed

Angry
Now Now no need to be ageist...

Did anybody else feel embarrassed by Jonathan Ross' poor quality of jokes. I wasn't impressed and members of the audience didn't look it either. Is Jonathan and his huge ego on their way out? I really hope he isn't hosting next years awards.

There was not much wrong with his delivery, though perhaps he was a little nervous for a change. I imagine there was a bigger than usual number of gags in the "too risky" pile this year though.