The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 14

Night Tim!
Cheer up. *tweaks nips*

As far as I could see there was no hostility to McIntyre. Paul Merton bizzarely said "Where's Michael McIntyre?" and Armando Iannucci said "There has been some hosility towards Michael McIntyre".

No one said anything bad about him and he didn't get heckled during his speech. Eh?

Lord knows that any comedian has to have some damned thick skin, even if their act is intended to be lighthearted. To be perfectly honest, the amount of hostility towards him is negligible. But I do love to gossip... Maybe he's cuckolded a lot of them or he's really quite a bastard in real life.

I think I've convinced myself he's a bastard now, just because it'd be most amusing.

I heard he skins and eats live kittens in the belief it increases his "comedy powers". :(

Good afternoon.

My 'British Comedy Awards.'

No respect whatsoever to the scaredy piss pants at ITV for broadcasting a badly edited, non-live edition of the awards. And then broadcasting a shambolic aftershow thing on ITV2 afterwards, which apparently was live.

Kudos to Peter Kay for not making a meal of it and accepting his award in an unusually modest manner.

Demerit to the usually magnificent Armando Iannucci for pointlessly jumping on the McIntyre slagwagon and having a mean-spirited pop at Viv Westwood.

And as for the McIntyre slagwagon - there are plenty of bland comics to have a pop at - Frankie Boyle, Russell Brand, Jason Manford, Russell Howard. Don't let Michael McIntyre. have all the fun.

NB. And before anybody harps on about how 'edgy' Frankie Boyle is, don't bother, because you're wrong.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 15 2009, 1:33 PM GMT

Good afternoon.

My 'British Comedy Awards.'

No respect whatsoever to the scaredy piss pants at ITV for broadcasting a badly edited, non-live edition of the awards. And then broadcasting a shambolic aftershow thing on ITV2 afterwards, which apparently was live.

Kudos to Peter Kay for not making a meal of it and accepting his award in an unusually modest manner.

Demerit to the usually magnificent Armando Iannucci for pointlessly jumping on the McIntyre slagwagon and having a mean-spirited pop at Viv Westwood.

And as for the McIntyre slagwagon - there are plenty of bland comics to have a pop at - Frankie Boyle, Russell Brand, Jason Manford, Russell Howard. Don't let Michael McIntyre. have all the fun.

NB. And before anybody harps on about how 'edgy' Frankie Boyle is, don't bother, because you're wrong.

I really don't think Armando Iannucci was having a dig at McIntrye, okay maybe a little bit, but at least his dig made sense - he was giving viewers that had just turned over a recap of events and explained that there had been a "slight air of hostility towards Michael McIntyre", which there had been.

I agree on the Frankie Boyle comment though, he isn't "edgy" at all, just goes purely for shock value but he really isn't all that shocking.

Quote: Martin H @ December 15 2009, 2:05 PM GMT

he was giving viewers that had just turned over a recap of events and explained that there had been a "slight air of hostility towards Michael McIntyre", which there had been.

Example?

Quote: Martin H @ December 15 2009, 2:05 PM GMT

I really don't think Armando Iannucci was having a dig at McIntrye, okay maybe a little bit, but at least his dig made sense - he was giving viewers that had just turned over a recap of events and explained that there had been a "slight air of hostility towards Michael McIntyre", which there had been.

I guess. But it just made it look as though he was 'getting in on the act' a bit.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 15 2009, 2:14 PM GMT

But it just made it look as though he was 'getting in on the act' a bit.

Very true, it seems everyone at the comedy awards know how popular McIntyre is, so they will do anything to be associated with him

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 15 2009, 1:33 PM GMT

What would a comedian have to do to be considered "edgy" by your standards? Provide examples of "edgy" comedians if you like.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 15 2009, 6:33 PM GMT

What would a comedian have to do to be considered "edgy" by your standards?

That's a very good question.

Until John returns with his answer, I'll say an edgy comedian is one who makes normal, respectable people laugh out loud at something no normal, respectable person would even smile at.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 15 2009, 6:33 PM GMT

What would a comedian have to do to be considered "edgy" by your standards? Provide examples of "edgy" comedians if you like.

Kevin, I have a problem with the question in that 'edginess' isn't a specific quality I look for in comedians, per se.

My favourite comedians over the years have been Alexei Sayle, Jasper Carrott, Jerry Sadowitz and Stewart Lee. I dare say some of those may be considered for their edginess, but it isn't what specifcally attracts me to them.

My problem with F. Boyle is people finding him somehow outrageous, but his humour is really quite cheap, with cheap obvious targets,like Rebecca Adlington. Where is the value of 'satirising' somebody like that? There's no thought process or moral centre to it. Just knee-jerk, pack driven school boy humour.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 16 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

Kevin, I have problem with the question in that 'edginess' isn't a specific quality I look for in comedians, per se.

My favourite comedians over the years have been Alexei Sayle, Jasper Carrott, Jerry Sadowitz and Stewart Lee. I dare say some of those may be considered for their edginess, but it isn't what specifcally attracts me to them.

My problem with F. Boyle is people finding him somehow outrageous, but his humour is really quite cheap, with cheap obvious targets,like Rebecca Adlington. Where is the value of 'satirising' somebody like that? There's no thought process or moral centre to it. Just knee-jerk, pack driven school boy humour.

But to be fair to Frankie Boyle, and I'm by no means his greatest fan, he said in an interview that the Rebecca Adlington stuff was what the producers of MTW wanted, that's what they presented him with. I think he'd have preferred to be going after more "legitimate" targets such as Government officials, ministers, MPs, etc, etc but the BBC is currently running scared of trying to do proper satire ("In The Thick of It" is about the only programme which features any satirical content, even "Have I Got News For You" has been stripped of any real hard hitting).

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 16 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

I was very disappointed with those jokes. She's not trying to be a celebrity, she's achieved a lot and picking on elements of her appearance beyond her control was just nasty. :(

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 16 2009, 10:35 AM GMT

I was very disappointed with those jokes. She's not trying to be a celebrity, she's achieved a lot and picking on elements of her appearance beyond her control was just nasty. :(

I agree but when your job is to make jokes on a topical show and the makers of said show give you a picture of Rebecca Adlington to work with what can you do?

It's more a fault of the shows producer than of Frankie Boyle IMHO.