The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 18

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 16 2009, 2:28 PM GMT

As I've mentioned before, no one gave a shit about Boyle's joke until the papers got a hold of it - then in come charging the 'outraged brigade'.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 16 2009, 1:11 PM GMT

If you can find an example of *any* BCGer saying that, I'd be very impressed.

Excuse my 'tilting at windmills' but as always, I'm mystified by the duplicity of the posters on here yet again.

As I've mentioned before, no one gave a shit about Boyle's joke until the papers got a hold of it - then in come charging the 'outraged brigade'.

I can't be asked to go through the previous Mock The Week forum thread, but if you guys posted on there how much you despised the Adlington joke the week the show went out, then I will humbly apologise and retract my statements.

This isn't just about one joke. It merely serves as an example of one comedian's entire form, as it were.

Is isn't about finding his jokes offensive it's about finding him a particularly poor comedian. There is a difference.

I for one wasn't 'outraged' by the joke, but it's quite obviously a pretty nasty thing to say about her.

Excuse my 'tilting at windmills' but as always, I'm mystified by the duplicity of the posters on here yet again.

Aren't you just as guilty of being outraged by the otraged brigade? If we're not careful we'll end up in an outrage loop we can't escape from.

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2009, 3:51 PM GMT

Aren't you just as guilty of being outraged by the otraged brigade? If we're not careful we'll end up in an outrage loop we can't escape from.

Take that back!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 16 2009, 3:57 PM GMT

Take that back!

I take nothing back unless I'm "snowballing" at an orgy.

I can't be asked to go through the previous Mock The Week forum thread, but if you guys posted on there how much you despised the Adlington joke the week the show went out, then I will humbly apologise and retract my statements.

Just catching up here, but yes - when it was first shown I thought Boyle's gags about Rebecca Addlington were inappropriate. I apologise to you and everyone else for not complaining to the BBC or mouthing off about it on a comedy forum at that time. I am however quite reassured that he was censured by the BBC for it later.

PS I like Frankie Boyle, I just think he got it wrong this time, and I think it's a shame he tried to deflect blame onto Mock the Week's producers when the words came from his mouth, if not his mind.

It was a couple of spiteful gags without a comedically valid target. They also weren't even very funny or original jokes. It's slightly pathetic of Frankie Boyle (and some of his defenders) trying to blame the producers. No-one forces anyone to open their mouth and make a joke, do they? It's the "other boys made me do it" defence.

EDIT: What Badge said. ;)

So just to clear this up so I know where I comedically stand -

Susan Boyle: an unattrative woman with no support network who wants to sing for a living but has been attacked so much she's considered suicide - fair target.

Rebecca Adlington: Olympic Gold Medal winning athlete with a model boyfriend and a massive support network - unfair target.

Man, you are some cruel f**kers on the BCG. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 17 2009, 2:47 AM GMT

Susan Boyle: an unattrative woman with no support network who wants to sing for a living but has been attacked so much she's considered suicide - fair target.

Who said she was a fair target? Huh? Not I.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2009, 2:08 AM GMT

It was a couple of spiteful gags without a comedically valid target. They also weren't even very funny or original jokes. It's slightly pathetic of Frankie Boyle (and some of his defenders) trying to blame the producers. No-one forces anyone to open their mouth and make a joke, do they? It's the "other boys made me do it" defence.

EDIT: What Badge said. ;)

I know that he said it and ultimately he is responsible but as a "live" performer you are constantly walking a tightrope, especially if your stock-in-trade is near the knuckle, edgy material, so occasionally as a battle hardened stand up, for whom nothing is really shocking any more, he's going to cross the line.

It doesn't really excuse him saying it but it does mean that someone in the production team thought it was worthy of broadcast.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 17 2009, 11:01 AM GMT

It doesn't really excuse him saying it but it does mean that someone in the production team thought it was worthy of broadcast.

And as proved by the Sachs-gate nonsense, producers need to grow a pair.

Quote: chipolata @ December 17 2009, 11:20 AM GMT

And as proved by the Sachs-gate nonsense, producers need to grow a pair.

Always thinking about tits, aren't you, Chip...? Rolling eyes

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2009, 12:29 PM GMT

Always thinking about tits, aren't you, Chip...? Rolling eyes

Where are Don Rushmore and Morrace?

Quote: chipolata @ December 17 2009, 12:32 PM GMT

Where are Don Rushmore and Morrace?

That's a point, haven't seen Morrace around for a while. Maybe he's had his internet privileges taken away for attacking a nonce in A Wing? :(