The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 16

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 16 2009, 1:10 PM GMT

But just like Sachs-gate, no one seems to give a shit until a newspaper tells them what to think. Then it's 'Oh no, how terribly shocking. Ban them!'

If you can find an example of *any* BCGer saying that, I'd be very impressed.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 16 2009, 1:10 PM GMT

As always, I'm confused by the BCG reaction to a comedian's jokes. Week in, week out, the telly jesters make fun of people's looks - HIGNFY, Buzzcocks, Argumental, etc. and you all seem to lap it up.

No, in this case it was because the target was undeserving. Celebrities, royalty and politicians are fair game.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 16 2009, 1:13 PM GMT

No, in this case it was because the target was undeserving. Celebrities, royalty and politicians are fair game.

Perhaps there should be a list of 'undeserving targets' - oh wait, Andrew Sachs is a celebrity and so is Rebecca Adlington, so they must have been fair game. If so, then why all the uproar?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 16 2009, 1:17 PM GMT

Andrew Sachs is a celebrity and so is Rebecca Adlington

I'd never heard of Rebecca Adlington before FB made his joke.

Perhaps I should get out more.

Perhaps there should be a list of 'undeserving targets' - oh wait, Andrew Sachs is a celebrity and so is Rebecca Adlington, so they must have been fair game. If so, then why all the uproar?

She's not a celebrity, just a sportsperson not trying to be a star. It's like picking on a member of the public.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 16 2009, 1:25 PM GMT

She's not a celebrity, just a sportsperson not trying to be a star. It's like picking on a member of the public.

I agree with Dolly and feel suitably dirty.

Yeah, I'd hardly call a swimmer a 'celebrity'. It's not the same as being an actor, or a singer. You don't get into swimming to be a household name!

Although David Swimmer from friends is quite famous.

The newspaper uproar came only after the BBC Trust censured Boyle, finding that Adlington was not fair game precisely because she's not somebody who has courted publicity, just somebody who's good at swimming.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/rebecca-adlington-slams-bbc-over-frankie-boyle-rebuke-1813432.html

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 16 2009, 1:26 PM GMT

Yeah, I'd hardly call a swimmer a 'celebrity'.

Michael Fish?

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2009, 1:27 PM GMT

Although David Swimmer from friends is quite famous.

>_<

Well I'd heard of her and seen her on telly doing interviews - I mean she's no Sharon Davis or Duncan Goodhew - but what are you going to do?

Hey, remember Linford Christie, the sportsman, remember all those jokes about his 'lunchbox'? Weren't they hilarious? How about Tim Henman? He's quite boring. Or Carlos Tevez? He's ugly. Ha, ha, ha.

If you are going to draw up arbitrary rules on who is and who isn't acceptable to be made fun of, how about including some form of cosistent reasoning?

When Frankie Boyle told the joke about Rebecca Adlington - did you all immediately go to Google images to see what she looked like? Or did you already know? Did you even care before it was highlighted by the BBC and subsequently the newspapers?

Humour is subjective and so apparently, is misplaced hypocritical rage.

She's also an amateur sportswoman, which makes a difference.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 16 2009, 1:49 PM GMT

She's also an amateur sportswoman, which makes a difference.

So was Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 16 2009, 1:44 PM GMT

Well I'd heard of her and seen her on telly doing interviews - I mean she's no Sharon Davis or Duncan Goodhew - but what are you going to do?

Hey, remember Linford Christie, the sportsman, remember all those jokes about his 'lunchbox'? Weren't they hilarious? How about Tim Henman? He's quite boring. Or Carlos Tevez? He's ugly. Ha, ha, ha.

If you are going to draw up arbitrary rules on who is and who isn't acceptable to be made fun of, how about including some form of cosistent reasoning?

When Frankie Boyle told the joke about Rebecca Adlington - did you all immediately go to Google images to see what she looked like? Or did you already know? Did you even care before it was highlighted by the BBC and subsequently the newspapers?

Humour is subjective and so apparently, is misplaced hypocritical rage.

You miss the point. There's also something known as common human decency. Some things are just nasty and meanspirited and shouldn't be said.