The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 12

Quote: Bambi1989 @ December 13 2009, 5:13 PM GMT

Did anybody else feel embarrassed by Jonathan Ross' poor quality of jokes.

Only since the early nineties.

I missed this for the umpteenth time in years.

To be fair to him, I expected Peter Kay to ramble on and on and be all smug and 'this night is all about me now', so his apparent humility was quite endearing.

I can't comment on that, but I do think That Peter Kay Thing is one of the funniest shows of the last twenty years. And it's a great shame he's never gone on to build on that.

Quote: chipolata @ December 14 2009, 12:02 PM GMT

I can't comment on that, but I do think That Peter Kay Thing is one of the funniest shows of the last twenty years. And it's a great shame he's never gone on to build on that.

It is very good, though I prefer Phoenix Nights.

Quote: chipolata @ December 14 2009, 12:02 PM GMT

Agreed. It was superior to Phoenix Nights, but that was a great show. I think the problem is that Peter Kay has rather rested on his laurels since. Nothing new in either his stand up or on TV. The X Factor spoof was overblown and underwhelming (and not funny enough) and he should stop the charity records. Get back to writing a proper show and forget he's famous for a while. :)

He's younger than he looks too. He should have plenty of life and ideas in him yet!
Lazy bugger.

Just caught this on ITV Player and Frankie Boyle was the highlight for me, especially when he accused Ross of being the instigator for the current trend towards neutered comedy - oh and the jokes about his charity work and the before and after picture, which were class.

A lot of Michael McIntyre digs, in fact so many, he came across as a bit of an underdog.

In the main, the awards went to the shows / actors / writers who deserved them and the tastes of the awards panel seemed to match my own. So no complaints there.

As for the presentation of the show, it committed that most dreaded of showbiz crimes by being dull, bland and event free. The BCAs used to trade on their controversy but now it's just another gong handing out ceremony.

Peter Kay and Terry Wogan got awards for showing up, which was nice. However, the most deserved award went to Graham Linehan, who is a comedy writing genius.

His standing ovation and then apology to Peter Kay was funny.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 14 2009, 12:03 PM GMT

It is very good, though I prefer Phoenix Nights.

That's because you're in it, Mr Daniel Kitson.

Quote: Ben @ December 14 2009, 7:29 PM GMT

*giggles*

Quote: Ben @ December 14 2009, 7:29 PM GMT

*Strokes beard* *Apologises to stranger and strokes own beard*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 14 2009, 3:43 PM GMT

A lot of Michael McIntyre digs, in fact so many, he came across as a bit of an underdog.

Which will no doubt add to his popularity as a nice guy comedian among a bunch of over competitive, sarky, laddish ones who plainly get jealous when a newcomer gets more success than they do.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 14 2009, 7:42 PM GMT

Which will no doubt add to his popularity as a nice guy comedian among a bunch of over competitive, sarky, laddish ones who plainly get jealous when a newcomer gets more success than they do.

Yeah! Angry

JACK DEE: Why can't you just say nice things? It's a lovely atmosphere, hundreds of comedians together, what could be nicer?

;)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 14 2009, 7:42 PM GMT

He is'nt a newcomer. He has been around a long time, but has worked harded than the others to be where he is now. I wish everyone would stop calling him a newcomer.