The British Comedy Awards 2009 Page 9

The thing is that I personally want to see comedians get a bit drunk and loosen their tongues towards their colleagues and peers at these things. Otherwise it just becomes yet another award show. Year on year the BCAs are watering down (literally) the format and spurning their USP. It's now rubbish to sell the show as the event where "anything and everything" can happen, when it quite obviously isn't anymore. (*hates self for using 'USP' - shudders*)

EDIT: I'll still keep watching it, of course... :(

Will you get drunk when you start attending, Tim?

Quote: Ben @ December 13 2009, 12:11 AM GMT

Will you get drunk when you start attending, Tim?

When? When? If, dear Ben, a massive if... (though I've always fancied a job as a wine waiter or a limo driver)

And "no" is the answer. But I do like to see other people get drunk (well, unless they're like me, of course). :)

You'll fist Norman Lamont though, won't you?!

I wanna see Ramona's speeeeeeeech!

:D

(You seem to have put that in the future tense, Ben. Cool)

Quote: zooo @ December 13 2009, 12:15 AM GMT

I wanna see Ramona's speeeeeeeech!

According to the Twitter feed it sounded little a very simple, sweet "thank you very much". But, yes, I want to see it too. :(

Quote: Spagett @ December 12 2009, 10:16 PM GMT

I have a funny feeling that Peter Kay isn't very popular in that room.

That was brilliant.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 12 2009, 11:09 PM GMT

(It was too much to hope that Stewart Lee would get it, but...)

He eliminates himself by not being funny.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 12 2009, 11:24 PM GMT

Does anyone else get the feeling that Ramona Marquez's career can only go downhill from here?

No.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ December 12 2009, 11:08 PM GMT

He did, beating two poncey little kids one of whom is called 'Tyger Drew-Honey' which means 'please bully me' in just about any language you can think of.

He's a bad man then.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 12 2009, 11:58 PM GMT

Comedians have become a bit too professional and polished to even get drunk before the ceremony and let fly a bit? :(

That's just embarrassing, uncomfortable watching when it does happen.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 12:17 AM GMT

According to the Twitter feed it sounded little a very simple, sweet "thank you very much". But, yes, I want to see it too. :(

Indeed it was. Thank YOU ITV2+1. Cool

Anyway. Awards. Apart from the apparent male newcomer winner, which I didn't see, I don't think I can object to any of them. Oh, except Peter Kay of course. Particularly good to see Outnumbered and Ramona Marquez winning, and interesting to see the reverence with which they treated Griff. A lot of now lower-profile comics certainly wouldn't get that.

Alexander Armstrong on The Fun Goes On was ... painful. To say the least.

And I agree with Tim that Paul Merton's bizarre speech was pretty reflective of the sad state in which HIGNFY has been left in the past few years.

Quote: Aaron @ December 13 2009, 1:10 AM GMT

And I agree with Tim that Paul Merton's bizarre speech was pretty reflective of the sad state in which HIGNFY has been left in the past few years.

It was Spagett, actually, but I concur. ;)

I almost said "or whoever it was". You're just so samey. ;)

I'll take that as a compliment, even though it isn't. ;)

Overall, a fairly decent set of results I thought. I'd have been cross if Pulling or Psychoville didn't get one! I thought Peep Show deserved at least one award though.

The ceremony was a bit crap this year though - Ross was on his best behaviour (although I did like the Big Top gag) and I thought there was a general tense feeling coming across throughout. I think this was...

- partly because of the un-due Michael McIntyre hostility there clearly was in the room (it really is much harder to do his material than some of the comedians in that room think)

- probably because Peter Kay was in the room, someone whom most of the room hate (as mentioned above, it was telling people didn't stand up for him I think!)

- and partly because the comics were all so scared of appearing in tomorrow's Daily Mail that they all sat quietly for fear the camera would land on them... except Frankie Boyle obviously, who provided a much needed un-suitable for broadcast joke.

The less said about ITV2's coverage the better though I think!

I do love Keith Lemon. The whole thing was a bit odd with all the drunken-ness though.

I found the whole production of the event very bizzare.

Why oh why did we have to have two celbs presenting each award?

They didn't even say "The Nominations are...." JR did that.

I mean do we really want to see Draco Malfoy and Lee Majors at things like this? Give one comedian the chance to present each award, it's the comedy we are interested in, not Pammy's panto performace. One of the best bits of the night was the banter between JR , Jack Dee and Rob B. Which shows if comics get the opportunity then the whole thing will run better.

With the greatest respect to J.K.Rowling she should never be allowed near a microphone. So neverous; poor woman.

I also think more than three nomiations for each award would have been better. And as Tim said earlier allow enough time to do it all probably and if that means ITV2 then fine - it was so rushed at the end.

No real complaints with any winners. Although maybe a little early for Peter Kay to get his award and not sure about Harry and Paul's triumph.

Finally, it was a little farcial to try to judge between the 5 big winners as best British comedy - how do they compare the different types?

The British Comedy Awards have always had strange combinations of celebs/comedians/actors presenting the awards though. That's part of the BCA tradition. The show doesn't take itself that seriously.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 12 2009, 11:55 PM GMT

Saw Lee tonight, he mentioned they'd already told him who had won, then called McIntyre a very rude word indeed. :D

What did he call him Whistling nnocently ?
But Michael was fully deserving of that award, he obviously works VERY hard at that job, and he is a brill stand up. That's why he has gone so far so fast.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 12 2009, 11:36 PM GMT

Was it? Pity he accidentally left it in his other jacket then. :(

It was one of the best because he obviously was'nt trying to be funny but he was. and he was genuinly surprised that he won it.
I did like Harry Hill's acceptance speeches aswell though :D