3) The Royle Family
4) Thieves Like Us
5) Porridge
6) On The Buses
7) Oh Doctor Beeching!
8) Take A Letter Mr. Jones...
9) Birds Of A Feather
10) You Rang, M'Lord?, so bad I'll name it twice

Yes I know must be dense not to get Porridge and On The Buses, keep in mind this is from a Yank's point of view. Maybe I just don't get some British aspects of these shows, though am a great Britcom fan!

Oh, and for worst ever opening credits: Murder Most Horrid.

Being a yank is no excuse for not liking Porridge. ;) Give it another try, it'll be worth it once you get it.

The Brittas Empire is the ultimate ronseal straight forward sitcom, I loved it excellent cast, great old fashioned scripts and a magistereal Chris Brian.

When people refer to the simple charms of Miranda or Mrs. Brown's Boys, sorry but Brittas is the daddy.

You know I fupping loved Brittas.

I think one of my favourite moments is when he's in intensive care and it turns out his wife turned his life support off, "for the best".

It was an elegant sitcom moment, dark, funny all the laughs coming out of character. And I'd say it holds up end up against the classics from anywhere in the world.

Quote: Moomin @ January 9 2013, 2:45 AM GMT

Worst in my view:

1) You Rang, M'Lord?
2) Hi-De-Hi!
3) The Royle Family
4) Thieves Like Us
5) Porridge
6) On The Buses
7) Oh Doctor Beeching!
9) Birds Of A Feather

Yes I know must be dense not to get Porridge and On The Buses, keep in mind this is from a Yank's point of view. Maybe I just don't get some British aspects of these shows, though am a great Britcom fan!

I think 5 and 6 may actually banning offences, let me check site rules. Porridge is just one of the most sublime serio-sitcoms of its era. Much closser to Dennis Potter or Harold Pinter; like Rising Damp or Steptoe And Son. And just a sublime performance from the leads.

Quote: sootyj @ January 9 2013, 12:46 PM GMT

The Brittas Empire is the ultimate ronseal straight forward sitcom, I loved it excellent cast, great old fashioned scripts and a magistereal Chris Brian.

When people refer to the simple charms of Miranda or Mrs. Brown's Boys, sorry but Brittas is the daddy.

Miranda may have a simple charm but Mrs. Brown is just....simple.

Chris Barrie was great in everything I've seen him in. Even when he plays only a small part as for example in a Filthy, Rich & Catflap episode he steals the show.

There's a hilarious parody of 'Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps' on an episode of that Charlie Brooker programme about television, not 'Screenwipe' but the one he did after that. It was called 'Bumming Off.' Does anyone remember that?

You're probably referring to How TV Ruined Your Life.

Quote: Aaron @ January 9 2013, 4:02 PM GMT

That's the one!

Quote: Aaron @ January 9 2013, 4:02 PM GMT

That's the one!

Damn, I'm seeing double again. ;)

Moomin, I think the Americans Officially don't get Porridge. It comes up again and again on debates about the show, and loads of you have said you just don't get it or like it very much.

The reason why may not be official but the one I go for was that Americans can't subscribe to making a convicted felon a comedy hero, like we more flexible, less morally black and white Brits can. We love Fletcher's rough diamond cheery roguishness, and it's not too different from another of our favourites, Del Boy, who probably should be in prison.

In no particular order:

Coming of Age
Mrs Brown's Boys
Miranda
Love Thy Neighbour
Bad Education
The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle
Teenage Kicks
The Young Ones
Beautiful People
Gavin and Stacey

Worst in my view:

1) You Rang, M'Lord?
2) Hi-De-Hi!
3) The Royle Family
4) Thieves Like Us
5) Porridge
6) On The Buses
7) Oh Doctor Beeching!
9) Birds Of A Feather

Number 9 is pure loveliness, though I guess it probably attracts more women of a certain age who don't mind the sight of a shell suit.

How did you feel about the US version of Porridge? On The Rocks I think it was called.

Quote: David Carmon @ October 14 2012, 7:36 PM BST

Did they ever release a box set of The Upper Hand?

One that I actually liked, I can see why people didn't though.

They are showing The Upper Hand on ITV3 at the moment about 5pm.

No boxset that I know of only separate releases of 1-7