Worst 10 British sitcoms ever Page 12

I tend not to watch the bad ones, so couldn't comment . . .

Wow ! Two annoying avatars !

Hit ESC for twice the fun of seeing them stop !

:P

Yes, I agree. And thanks for the tip.

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 9 2009, 11:21 PM GMT

That tip doesn't seem to work for me now I'm using Google Chrome. Or perhaps it's a Windows 7 thing (unlikely).

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 10 2009, 12:35 AM GMT

That tip doesn't seem to work for me now I'm using Google Chrome. Or perhaps it's a Windows 7 thing (unlikely).

It's a Chrome thing.

Ah... cheers, Ken. ;)

Is that Nick Cave?

Quote: ellipsis @ November 10 2009, 4:22 AM GMT

Is that Nick Cave?

I get that all the time, which is rather insulting, as he is an old codger theseadays (born 1957). And I'm guessing slipperyjack's animated aviator is someone doing a comical impression of Saddam Hussein.

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 9 2009, 11:21 PM GMT

Wow ! Two annoying avatars !

:P

Ha! Love you're spreading the word :D I never knew this tip.

And yes, that is the almighty Nick Cave - a bonus cool point for you sir . . .

Is it too late to post? Oh well, I can't think of ten off hand, but one bad one I saw recently was 'High & Dry'. For those who don't know it was sort of 'a Dad's Army spin off'. It was originally a radio series with a different title which had characters from Dad's Army in it. But the time the TV version got made in the 1980s the Dad's Army cast were not longer available. So they rewrote it slightly for new characters. I've heard the radio show and it is very good. But the TV show was bad. It had some good actors - Richard Wilson, the spoon sales man from Fawlty Towers, cameo roles - Mr Mash from AYBS, Mr Harman from AYBS and others. There were a few problems - much of the dialogue, plot style was written for the Dad's Army actors/characters. It just didn't translate to new cast/characters and how they played the parts too. Also, being a radio play it was too dialogue based - it just didn't translate to screen. The story line and time setting were only justified by being a Dad's army spin off. It made no sense outside of this and your left wondering why they chose it. And sometimes they overdo and try to force things to made up for its weaknesses. Which just doesn't work.

It Sticks Out Half A Mile was the radio version. Cribbins was great in High & Dry, mind.

I'd agree that H&D wasn't excellent, but I don't think that it was that bad. A second series would have been rather beneficial, IMO.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/it_sticks_out_half_a_mile/ https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/high_and_dry/

Quote: Dave @ February 19 2009, 10:22 PM GMT

1. According to Bex (as it was just dying to be an American show)
2. The House That Jack Built
3. The Office
4. Life of Riley
5. The Green Green Grass
6. The Old Guys
7. The Savages
8. The Royle Family
9. After You've Gone
10.Any show in the last ten years.

Are you 110 years old?

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 18 2009, 8:12 AM GMT

Is it too late to post? Oh well, I can't think of ten off hand, but one bad one I saw recently was 'High & Dry'. For those who don't know it was sort of 'a Dad's Army spin off'. It was originally a radio series with a different title which had characters from Dad's Army in it. But the time the TV version got made in the 1980s the Dad's Army cast were not longer available. So they rewrote it slightly for new characters. I've heard the radio show and it is very good. But the TV show was bad. It had some good actors - Richard Wilson, the spoon sales man from Fawlty Towers, cameo roles - Mr Mash from AYBS, Mr Harman from AYBS and others. There were a few problems - much of the dialogue, plot style was written for the Dad's Army actors/characters. It just didn't translate to new cast/characters and how they played the parts too. Also, being a radio play it was too dialogue based - it just didn't translate to screen. The story line and time setting were only justified by being a Dad's army spin off. It made no sense outside of this and your left wondering why they chose it. And sometimes they overdo and try to force things to made up for its weaknesses. Which just doesn't work.

See, not having a 'slab' of text makes it much easier to read.

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 18 2009, 9:28 PM GMT

See, not having a 'slab' of text makes it much easier to read.

The text on this site seems very small to me. Or is it just my own settings or something?

It's standard size that you'll find on most sites across the web. If it appears differently to you then it's probably your own settings, yes.