Worst 10 British sitcoms ever Page 15

Quote: deckard @ February 10 2010, 3:12 AM GMT

I tried 'Allo Allo! per Aaron's suggestion and was immediately underwhelmed. Couldn't make it through three episodes. :(

Where did you start? Series 1?

Quote: David Carmon @ February 10 2010, 9:19 AM GMT

I will say this only once - It's good.

I thought 'Allo 'Allo! was great when I was about eight, but I can't say I find it very funny if I catch it now.

What about that Frank Skinner one? Was it called 'Shane'? I remember getting a bit of a cringe on watching that.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 10 2010, 1:22 PM GMT

I thought 'Allo 'Allo! was great when I was about eight, but I can't say I find it very funny if I catch it now.

What about that Frank Skinner one? Was it called 'Shane'? I remember getting a bit of a cringe on watching that.

That was pretty bad. I've just remembered another one - All About Me, that horrendous Jasper Carrott thing that tried to tick as many politically-correct boxes as possible, the Asian wife, the disabled kid etc. Awful.

Quote: Aaron @ February 10 2010, 1:09 PM GMT

Where did you start? Series 1?

Yep

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 10 2010, 1:50 PM GMT

That was pretty bad. I've just remembered another one - All About Me, that horrendous Jasper Carrott thing that tried to tick as many politically-correct boxes as possible, the Asian wife, the disabled kid etc. Awful.

Really not good, that.

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 10 2010, 12:44 PM GMT

1) Bread. God I despised that show.
2) Baddiel's Syndrome
3) My Hero (Would be great as a kid's show though)
4) Up The Elephant And Round The Castle
5) According To Bex
6) Celeb
7) Yus My Dear (Has to be seen to be believed)
8) Surgical Spirit
9) Barbara
10) Heartburn Hotel

The first series of Bread had some charm, but I admit it wore very thin. Surgical Spirit I thought was great; most of the rest are unmemorable at best, and at worst, atrocious.

Quote: deckard @ February 10 2010, 4:00 PM GMT

Yep

Ah well. It does improve greatly around the end of S1/start of S2 (IIRC) if you do manage to get any further with it at some point.

Quote: Aaron @ February 10 2010, 4:14 PM GMT

Ah well. It does improve greatly around the end of S1/start of S2 (IIRC) if you do manage to get any further with it at some point.

I disagree... I think about the funniest moments happen in the first couple of episodes.

Rene - .... my wife.
Michelle - Will she talk?
Rene - Incessantly.

That scene and setting up the mother-in-law's bed as the radio station are classic.

Undoubtedly there are some great moments, but I think it keeps getting better. Series 5 was probably the pinnacle.

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 10 2010, 1:50 PM GMT

Know what you mean about the box ticking but I Seem to remember it improving a lot when Nina Wadia joined the cast and was no where near as bad as some of the painful entries like According to Bex or Mad about Alice.

Pity Amanda Holden doesn't find the right vehicle as she not as half as bad as the sit-coms she gets to star in.

Has antyone put down that God awful sitcom from the early nineties, set in a bakery with Keith Barron in it? I think it was on BBC 1 during their attempts to revive the old sitcom format. Can't recall the name though.
Also, does anyone know of the name of the BBC sitcom that Ray Winstone and Kate Winslett did together? Also from the early to mid nineties? He was a successful business bloke who went broke and ended up living in a sky rise flat. What was the name? Curses!

Get Back.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1004544/Get-Back-Complete-Series-One-And-Two/Product.html]

(The Barron sitcom was All Night Long.)

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 10 2010, 12:44 PM GMT

2) Baddiel's Syndrome
5) According To Bex
6) Celeb
8) Surgical Spirit
9) Barbara
10) Heartburn Hotel

I love Surgical Spirit!
And Barbara's not too bad either. Slightly diinerladies-esque/Victoria Wood dialogue.

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 10 2010, 5:44 PM GMT

2) Baddiel's Syndrome
5) According To Bex
6) Celeb
8) Surgical Spirit
9) Barbara
10) Heartburn Hotel

I could think of at least 200 comedies worse than Bread but about 200 more that were better. Heartburn Hotel was excellent, IMO, Barbara and Surgical Spirit were well written and well acted.

My top 10 worst comedies

Mad About Alice
Bottle Boys
Roots
Room Service
Don't Drink the Water
Yus My Dear
The Persuasionists (dire)
Coming of Age
The Corner House
Brighton Belles

Quote: deian @ February 12 2010, 10:59 PM GMT

Has antyone put down that God awful sitcom from the early nineties, set in a bakery with Keith Barron in it? I think it was on BBC 1 during their attempts to revive the old sitcom format. Can't recall the name though.

I seem to recall the Keith Barron sitcom having a dreadful joke about 'Baking and entering'.