- 1989 - 2017
- ITV, BBC One
- 127 (12 series), plus 1 highlights specials
- Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran
- Pauline Quirke, Linda Robson, Lesley Joseph, Charlie Quirke, Samuel James, David Cardy, Peter Polycarpou, Alun Lewis and others
- Laurence Marks, Maurice Gran, Gary Lawson and John Phelps
- Nick Wood, Dez McCarthy and Martin Dennis
- Jo Willett and Humphrey Barclay
Tracey and Sharon may be sisters, but they live very different lives. Tracey has a luxurious mansion with indoor swimming pool in leafy Essex, whilst Sharon resides in a grubby high-rise council flat in Edmonton. But when their husbands, Darryl and Chris, are convicted of armed robbery and sent to prison, the sisters are forced to live together.
They quickly become good - if not begrudging - friends with next-door-neighbour Dorien, whose hobby is cheating on her husband with much younger men. Together, Sharon and Tracey must face the dramas, tragedies, stresses and strains of keeping up with the world, without their husbands to support them.
Years later, the girls have long had done with Chris and Darryl, and financial strife forces to live together once more - now also with Dorien, not to mention Tracey's grown-up sons, Garth and Travis!
- First broadcast
- Monday 16th October 1989 on BBC One at 8:30pm
- Last new broadcast
- Monday 18th December 2017 on ITV at 9pm
- Upcoming repeats