- 1980 - 1988
- BBC One
- 58 (1 pilot + 8 series)
- Simon Cadell, Paul Shane, Ruth Madoc, Jeffrey Holland, Su Pollard, David Griffin, Leslie Dwyer, Kenneth Connor and more
- Jimmy Perry and David Croft
- John Kilby, David Croft, Robin Carr and Mike Stephens
- David Croft, John Kilby and Mike Stephens
Welcome to Maplin's, Britain's favourite holiday camp, where the sun-drenched summer never ends.
Here we find our heroic Yellowcoats involved in all kinds of jolly japes and comic capers; in the chalets, in the Hawaiian Ballroom, and all around the Olympic-sized swimming pool. So roll up your trousers and get those knobbly knees out, it's time for a holiday season of fun and frolics - come on campers, Hi-De-Hi!
As the 1959 holiday season opens, company boss Joe Maplin has appointed a new Entertainments Manager to one camp: former Cambridge archaeology professor Jeffrey Fairbrother. His wife having left him and accused him of being deathly boring, he's determined to prove to everyone - not least himself - that he isn't.
Jeffrey quickly attracts the amorous attentions of Valleys-girl Gladys Pugh, the camp's sports organiser and voice of Radio Maplin's. Meanwhile, Camp Host Ted Bovis is really running the show, often with an eye to making a quick buck for himself, much to the chagrin of new Camp Comic Spike, who does not feel at all comfortable with Ted's dishonesty.
Meanwhile, the camp's entertainment team - the Yellowcoats - are none too keen to allow aspiring performer and Chalet Maid Peggy join their ranks; ballroom dancers Yvonne and Barry Stuart-Hargreaves are often at each others' throats; and former professional jockey Fred Quilley attempts to keep equine activities under hand.
Come the 1960 season, and there's a big change: Gladys is heartbroken by Jeffrey's departure, but is eventually won round by his smooth-talking replacement, the Honourable Clive Dempster, DFC.
Stream and download
- Camera set-up
- The theme tune, Hi-De-Hi! (Holiday Rock), was written by Jimmy Perry and sung by Ken Barrie.
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 1st January 1980 at 7:30pm on BBC One
- Next repeats
- 1985 Christmas Special: Friday 15th December at 9:45am on Gold
- Most recent repeats
- Dovercourt - Filmed on location at a Warners holiday camp