- 1973 - 1977
- BBC One, BBC Two
- 21 (1 pilot + 3 series)
- Ronnie Barker, Richard Beckinsale, Fulton Mackay, Brian Wilde, Michael Barrington, Brian Glover, Christopher Biggins, Ronald Lacey and others
- Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais
- Sydney Lotterby
- Sydney Lotterby
Set in Slade Prison, Porridge documents the life of Norman Stanley Fletcher, an habitual criminal.
Fletcher is a smart, witty, cunning and loveable character. He shares his cell with young Lennie Godber, a first time inmate upon whom he imparts his considerable wisdom and knowledge of the penal system and how to cope. The pair must contend with troublesome fellow cons, harsh wardens, unwitting mishaps and the regular stresses of prison life, keeping their heads above water without getting on the wrong side of their jailers.
Fletch's wing is headed by the strict Scottish screw Mr Mackay, assisted by the far more easy-going - and somewhat exploitable - Mr Barrowclough.
- Part of
- Production company
- Also known as
- Seven Of One: Prisoner And Escort (Pilot)
- Theme tune composed by Max Harris. Introductory sentencing performed by Ronnie Barker.
- Laugh track
- Live audience
View recording details
- First broadcast
- Sunday 1st April 1973 on BBC Two at 8:15pm
- Last new broadcast
- Friday 25th March 1977 on BBC One at 8:30pm
- Upcoming repeats
- Series 2 Episode 1: Today at 9pm on Yesterday
- Series 2 Episode 2: Today at 9:40pm on Yesterday
- Series 2 Episode 3: Today at 10:20pm on Yesterday
- Series 3 Episode 3: Tuesday at 10:55pm on Yesterday
- Series 2 Episode 4: Tuesday at 11:35pm on Yesterday
- Series 3 Episode 4: Wednesday 30th January at 12:15am on Yesterday
- Series 3 Episode 3: Wednesday 30th January at 9pm on Yesterday
- Series 2 Episode 4: Wednesday 30th January at 9:40pm on Yesterday
- Series 3 Episode 4: Wednesday 30th January at 10:20pm on Yesterday