- Ronnie Barker, Richard Beckinsale, Fulton Mackay, Brian Wilde, Peter Vaughan, Geoffrey Bayldon, Daniel Peacock, Barrie Rutter and others
- Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais
- Dick Clement
- Ian La Frenais and Allan McKeown
Harry Grout, Slade Prison's resident bigwig, is arranging for the escape of fellow prisoner, Oakes, under the guise of a celebrities vs convicts morale-boosting football match.
Fletcher and Godber, nearing the end of their respective sentences, are horrified to find themselves roped in on the scheme - try as they might, Grouty's just not a man you can say 'no' to.
As the villainous plot unfolds, the pair find themselves even deeper in it than they'd feared, and are soon outside the prison walls themselves. It may be something they've dreamed of for years, but so close to their release dates, the duo are far more concerned about suffering even longer sentences for escaping.
Splitting from Oakes's getaway, Fletch and Godber are in a race against time to get themselves back across country undetected, and back inside the prison walls without being caught. Whoever heard of convicts wanting to break into a prison?
- Fletcher's inside story - even funnier as a film.
- UK certificate
- 94 minutes
- Release date
- August 1979
- Production company
- Also known as
- Doing Time (US title)
- Songs featured include "Free Inside" sung by Joe Brown, "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" by Ian Dury and the Blockheads and Harry Nilsson's "Without You".
- Laugh track
- Last repeat
- Thursday 2nd September 2021 at 11:10pm on BBC4