Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: johnny smith @ April 15 2009, 12:23 PM BST

The 'returned' just refers to the old sitcoms. I was just trying to put that all in one sentence....and no, I am not saying it is a good thing that the BBC are making all these old and new sitcoms in the last few months.

So what are you saying? Do you want them not to make no old non-returning or new non-returning (and new, also) returning sitcoms, or otherwise?

Apologies if I haven't made myself clear.

I had a chance to see one of these being recorded but thought it would be a bit strange seeing one stand alone episode when it was one of the first serialised sitcoms - ie there was a developing story.

Also I was too lazy to make the effort.

It does seem very different though from the original having seen those clips on JR.

Quote: Badge @ April 17 2009, 11:42 PM BST

So what are you saying? Do you want them not to make no old non-returning or new non-returning (and new, also) returning sitcoms, or otherwise?

Apologies if I haven't made myself clear.

No, I just don't want the BBC to be broadcasting so many sitcom (most of which are unfunny) in such a short period of time. Why not spread them out? It just seems like when one series of a sitcom ends, another begins the next day or the next week. It seems to be quantity over quality.

Quote: johnny smith @ April 19 2009, 6:31 PM BST

No, I just don't want the BBC to be broadcasting so many sitcom (most of which are unfunny) in such a short period of time. Why not spread them out? It just seems like when one series of a sitcom ends, another begins the next day or the next week. It seems to be quantity over quality.

Don't you like things making you laugh?

Quote: johnny smith @ April 19 2009, 6:31 PM BST

You seem to be implying that if sitcoms were broadcast less regularly (which I do not support), then they would each be higher in quality. Since they're not all the same series, featuring the same actors and the same writers, that doesn't really add up. I'd rather have constant sitcoms with the occasionally 'good' one than a scattered set of occasionally 'good' shows.

The thinking behind regularly scheduling sitcoms in certain slots is that you develop an "appetitite" amongst the viewing public. Most people like having a particular time each week they know they can turn on the telly and hopefully have a laugh. I know I do.

With regards to this show, the previews seem fairly positive considering the original was such a legendary show.

I can't understand why they've used the man who has done more to destroy the BBC One sitcom than any other person, Simon Nye.

I know! After MBB, Nye started slumming it with:

- The Savages
- Hardware - an ITV sitcom - 'nuff said
- Wild West - Catherine Tate and Dawn French - 'nuff said
- Carrie & Barry - just awful
- and all those televised Christmas pantos

Quote: johnny smith @ April 21 2009, 2:22 PM BST

all those televised Christmas pantos

Those were ace.

- The Savages
- Warehouse - an ITV sitcom - 'nuff said

It's unfair to dismiss a writer on the basis of his later career. Very few writers, no matter how good, manage to maintain a high standard throughout their working life. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. And even the mightiest of today's writers - Bain/Armstrong, Gervais/Merchant, Ianucci, etc - will one day be tired old hacks living on past glories.

And Nye's responsible for How Do You Want Me? and Is It Legal?, two very different but very good sitcoms.

- The Savages
- Warehouse - an ITV sitcom - 'nuff said

Yeah, I thought for a time he was going to do every type of situation known to man and leave nothing for the rest of us to have a go at. The trouble with Nye is that he can only do parody, even his better stuff. MBB

Quote: Yellows 586 @ April 21 2009, 4:53 PM BST

The trouble with Nye is that he can only do parody, even his better stuff. MBB

I think there's more to him than that. Again I'd refer you back to How Do You Want Me?.

I liked Wild West!

*is embarrassed*

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2009, 4:57 PM BST

I think there's more to him than that. Again I'd refer you back to How Do You Want Me?.

No offence but I refer you to MBB and Is It Legal?.

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2009, 4:57 PM BST

How Do You Want Me?

A brilliant series, and very, very different to something like Men Behaving Badly.