Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 8

Quote: Yellows 586 @ April 21 2009, 5:02 PM BST

No offence but I refer you to MBB and Is It Legal?.

And those shows are more than just parody.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 21 2009, 5:04 PM BST

A brilliant series, and very, very different to something like Men Behaving Badly.

It is. And I much prefer Dylan Moran in that than in Black Books.

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2009, 5:08 PM BST

And those shows are more than just parody.

If MBB was brilliant social commentary then 'Allo 'Allo! was a real-life depiction of occupied France.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ April 21 2009, 5:17 PM BST

If MBB was brilliant social commentary then 'Allo 'Allo! was a real-life depiction of occupied France.

I didn't say it was brilliant social commentary, just that I think there was more to it than merely parody.

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2009, 5:21 PM BST

I didn't say it was brilliant social commentary, just that I think there was more to it than merely parody.

Fair enough.

Is It Legal? is by far his best work IMO.

Anyway. Let's get back onto the subject of Reggie Perrin now please.

How could you call MBB parody?

What was it parodying?

It was just a very funny sitcom.

Quote: Aaron @ April 21 2009, 9:06 PM BST

Anyway. Let's get back onto the subject of Reggie Perrin now please.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 22 2009, 1:38 AM BST

How could you call MBB parody?

What was it parodying?

It was just a very funny sitcom.

Laughing out loud I love it that we all ignore Aaron.

I would echo what others have said about being quietly confident about this. The previews have been generally positive and it has some fine cast members.

Also the clip on J Ross wasn't bad and I think it showed the 2 different styles of the writers. The bit about getting penis enlargements seemed more Nye and, unless I'm completely mistaken, the rant is very Nobbsian. Either his own work or a solid Nye imitation.

Another clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjK8A8viW4

Wouldn't it be great if there was an earthquake at the burial site of Leonard Rossiter, whilst 'Reggie Perrin' is broadcast this Friday on BBC 1 , and it caused Leonard Rossiter to literally turn in his grave?

Quote: Nick @ April 22 2009, 1:01 PM BST

The bit about getting penis enlargements seemed more Nye and, unless I'm completely mistaken, the rant is very Nobbsian.

(snigger)

I'm actually quite looking forward to this - the snippets I've seen look pretty good.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ April 11 2009, 2:01 AM BST

I say give it a chance.
I didn't think that Steve Martin would make a success of Bilko.
Or Clouseau.

I know that this is a bit late in coming as a reply but this has just boiled my pi55!!!

Steve Martin a success of Clouseau, bollocks!!!

He completely missed the point in that role, I know he had some big shoes to fill but it was like he'd never even heard of Clouseau before.

Peter Sellers must be like a rotisserie chicken in his grave.

Right on, Crusty. But what is a pi55?

Quote: Crusty427 @ April 24 2009, 1:05 PM BST

I know that this is a bit late in coming as a reply but this has just boiled my pi55!!!

Steve Martin a success of Clouseau, bollocks!!!

He completely missed the point in that role, I know he had some big shoes to fill but it was like he'd never even heard of Clouseau before.

Peter Sellers must be like a rotisserie chicken in his grave.

I feel you're being rather uncharitable when discussing Steve Martin assaying the role of the hapless Gallic gumshoe.

Martin invested the role with a contemporary spin. If you just wanted a carbon-copy of the Sellers version, why not just use computer wizardry to cobble together old footage of the late Goon, shoehorn in Herbert Lom (who must be gathering dust in some old actor's home somewhere) and be done with it?

No, what Martin brought to the role was HEART. He made a pretty two-dimensional character three-dimensional.

My two penn'orth anyway.