Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 11

Quote: Aaron @ April 24 2009, 10:38 PM BST

That was the case previously, was it not?

I thought it was more slow-burn in the original. For example his train/excuses got later and later and more outlandish through the series originally. Also here he's slinging his briefcase about and dropping his phone in the bin in episode one. It seems a little more advanced and the original more subtle, but then I've not viewed the original for a while.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 25 2009, 9:33 AM BST

Now I'm just waiting to see a hippo.

Be prepared for a shock. There is no hippo in this series.

That dorky and cringeing dance that those two stupid and extremely unfunny 'Great! Super!' equivalents did was so similar to one that Moss did in series 3 of 'The IT Crowd'.

Actually, do we even need ANOTHER office based sitcom after Drop The Dead Donkey, The Office , The Thick Of It and The IT Crowd?

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 25 2009, 10:30 AM BST

Be prepared for a shock. There is no hippo in this series.

Oh no! :(

Seeing Reggie with a hang out buddy in a generic sitcom pub was the last straw for me. I felt like I was watching 'Not Going Out'.

Quote: johnny smith @ April 25 2009, 1:11 PM BST

Seeing Reggie with a hang out buddy in a generic sitcom pub was the last straw for me. I felt like I was watching 'Not Going Out'.

Johnny, do you have anything even remotely intelligent to contribute to this discussion?

Do you?

Quote: johnny smith @ April 25 2009, 12:51 PM BST

Actually, do we even need ANOTHER office based sitcom after Drop The Dead Donkey, The Office and The IT Crowd?

Plus Perfect World, Office Gossip, and I suppose to an extent Kiss Me Kate and May To December. If you want to complain about the setting, then The Office itself was way behind the times, nevermind The IT Crowd. Given that only one of them has been on in the last 7 years, I don't think that such an argument has any basis. I don't think it would anyway, but even less so considering the timespan.

Unless someone else can think of an office-based sitcom aside from The IT Crowd since 2002?

RE: Johnny Smith

Well let#s look at the comments that you've made so far...

That if the BBC made fewer sitcoms that they would be better. That argument makes no sense obviously.

That it would have been good if there had been an earthquake at Leonard Rossiter's graveyard. Obviously you'd judged the show before you watched it.

That because there have been 3 office based sitcoms that there shouldn't be another. As millions of people up and down the country work in offices and as the shows mentioned all focus on different things, your comment doesn't really hold up.

That the pub was generically sitcom (true enough) and yet still reminded you of Not Going Out alone. People go out to the pub with their friends for a drink. Hardly something which shouldn't be seen in a sitcom.

I can understand people not liking the show and respect their opinions if they are intelligently expressed but not if they are merely spouting drivel.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 24 2009, 10:23 PM BST

Initial thoughts...

- The audience laughter needs to be toned down. It may not be a 'laugh track' but it is manipulated: hoots of laughter just greet Reggie standing at a water cooler whereas I'm sure the audience didn't find Martin Clunes standing still to be that funny.

- Why have they leapt in with Reggie's malaise so far advanced? Audience attention span I suppose.

But I was pleasantly surprised - it made me laugh - the script is actually very sharp - it deserves to be heard rather than drowned out. They could have let the character and the show grow more before plunging in like they have, but its a cut above the norm. I wish the central character wasn't called Perrin though.

I agree with you Maurice - I was in the audience for this one and the laughter felt natural at the time. However, when I watched it last night I found the laughter levels quite off putting. So I guess I'm critiquing myself there!? Similarly I'd prefer more of the quieter moments and less of the farce, but I enjoyed it overall and will keep watching.

Jx

P.S. What's wrong with the name Perrin? It's the closest I'll get to being famous. :)

"I didn't get where I am today without knowing that suit makes you look like a bride at a lesbian wedding"

Really made me laugh that line

I enjoyed the show, although I agree that the laughter was a little intrusive. I don't think it suffers by comparison to the original and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

I particularly liked the whole spam email scene. :)

As a massive fan of the original I felt compelled to watch this although I had been dreading it.

First impressions are that it's very good indeed. It's kept the same feeling, albeit now in the noughties, and brought Reggie up to date in a very watchable way.

With one caveat though - I'm not entirely sure a remake / interpretation was needed and overall I suppose that it's a bit like seeing a shit-hot tribute band. Good but just not quite the real thing.

Having said that then I would echo others' comments about the sharpness of the script and would also have to say the Clunesy does a mighty good job as the lead.

I loved the dopey secretary but thought that bad points were the underlings (too hammed up and farcical) and the drink-buddy who seemed to have been crow barred in from an entirely different show.

All in all 9/10 from me.

Quote: Nick @ April 25 2009, 2:35 PM BST

That because there have been 3 office based sitcoms that there shouldn't be another. As millions of people up and down the country work in offices and as the shows mentioned all focus on different things, your comment doesn't really hold up.

You know, there have been far too many sitcoms recently set in a house. Definitely should be banned. Pleased

Looking forward to seeing this online next week.

The comment someone made earlier about this being more a fliming of the original book(s) makes sense. But haven't they used the original music again?

Quote: Huge Bear @ April 25 2009, 3:43 PM BST

But haven't they used the original music again?

Kind of. Same tune, only jazzed up a little. I wasn't keen.

One day somebody'll do a remix that improves on the original (and pigs might fly)