Quote: zooo @ April 26 2009, 8:07 PM BST

Can't you just tell us. :)

Quote: zooo @ April 26 2009, 8:11 PM BST

Sigh.

Agreed, just tell us!

*checks*

He walks to and opens the fridge.

:/

However, I suspect what may be being referred to is Gary throwing his briefcase as he comes in from work.

Oh.

I kind of remember him doing that actually.

Quote: Aaron @ April 26 2009, 11:06 PM BST

However, I suspect what may be being referred to is Gary throwing his briefcase as he comes in from work.

Throwing his briefcase as Reggie had done back in the 1970s? Shock horror.
:)

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 26 2009, 7:00 PM BST

You're right about the novel of course, and if the series hadn't been made in the 1970s we'd be watching this new version thinking how new and brave it was. But it's one of those cases of the performer and character being linked forever. Like Olivier's interpretation of Richard III is the one in the public consciousness (if there is an awareness of the 'character'), and that was an interpretation of a very old text which was itself an imagining of real events. But it was Olivier's version that had the greatest impact for whatever reason. Same with principle with Reggie Perrin and Rossiter.

What you've said makes sense and for some people who are really aware of the original series, the new one could be a problem. For some journalists that's obviously been the case but it remains to be seen how many of the public still link the character and original performer. To continue with your Olivier comparison, he was clearly associated with Henry V for a long time but the public still accepted Kenneth Branagh in that role.

I watched it, expecting to be disappointed. How wrong I was.

I realise that it is only early days, and there's five more episodes to come, but I truly believe that what we may be witnessing is a deserving successor to that (latterly tarnished) crown of Best British Sitcom of its Epoch (previous wearer: "You Rang, M'Lord?").

In fact, I'd go further - I actually think it improves on the original. Gone are the wretched Yes Men with their wretched catchphrases ("Super!", "Great!"), gone is John Barron as CJ (an overblown bully with farting furniture) and, best of all, gone is Tom, Reggie's dogprick of a son-in-law (he of the parsnip wine and drooping demeanour).

Arise, Sir Martin! Verily you hath slain the Ghost of Rossiter with your mighty Wit!

Quote: johnny smith @ April 26 2009, 8:03 PM BST

I have just found something quite interesting. If you have the complete set of 'Men Behaving Badly' on DVD or video or at least the series which this episode is from, have a look at episode 3 of series 5 (It's caled 'Cowardice') and have a look at what Gary (Martin Clunes) does at 5 mins 5 seconds into the episode.

You not a troll, johnny smith. You an anorak!

Viewing figures for Friday were just over 5m which seems a decent start.

I see this has got slated in the press. Pity. I rather enjoyed it, largely down to Clunes, I must say.

Quote: Nick @ April 27 2009, 10:32 AM BST

Viewing figures for Friday were just over 5m which seems a decent start.

The test is whether the show can keep those numbers without haemoraging.

Quite. It's also beaten NGO quite comfortably too.

Thing is though, where will this series go? The original set up was effectively a trilogy, tied to the books, will this follow the same path? Obviously he becomes more and more stressed and disillusioned and (presumably) fakes his death etc... But the 'cycle' of fall and rise and fall is set; the show has its life mapped out (assuming it bobs along and doesn't get randomly cancelled).

NGO and its ilk could carry on for as long as they like, Perrin can't really.

Here's another review

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2009/04/reggie_perrin_a.html

Quote: johnny smith @ April 27 2009, 1:28 PM BST

Here's another review

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2009/04/reggie_perrin_a.html

Have you copied and pasted comments from this review as if they are your own opinions as well? :)

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 27 2009, 1:24 PM BST

Quite. It's also beaten NGO quite comfortably too.

Thing is though, where will this series go? The original set up was effectively a trilogy, tied to the books, will this follow the same path? Obviously he becomes more and more stressed and disillusioned and (presumably) fakes his death etc... But the'cycle' of fall and rise and fall is set; the show has its life mapped out (assuming it bobs along and doesn't get randomly cancelled).

NGO and its ilk could carry on for as long as they like, Perrin can't really.

Yes, of course that's the case, it's set in stone Rolling eyes

Battlestar Galactica invented the re-imaging genre - it took existing characters, an existing situation and the existing premise and then took the lot in a totally different direction.

This is exactly the same.

Quote: Sebastian Melmoth @ April 27 2009, 8:26 AM BST

I realise that it is only early days, and there's five more episodes to come, but I truly believe that what we may be witnessing is a deserving successor to that (latterly tarnished) crown of Best British Sitcom of its Epoch (previous wearer: "You Rang, M'Lord?").

Eh? It was good, but that good? I'm shocked so many people like it at all.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 27 2009, 1:24 PM BST

Thing is though, where will this series go? The original set up was effectively a trilogy, tied to the books, will this follow the same path? Obviously he becomes more and more stressed and disillusioned and (presumably) fakes his death etc... But the 'cycle' of fall and rise and fall is set; the show has its life mapped out (assuming it bobs along and doesn't get randomly cancelled).

As you say, the original series was tied to the books. But why then go on to assume that this series will be too? Sure, it takes the basic premise of a middle-aged man living and working in suburbia having some kind of breakdown, but beyond that it doesn't have to be remotely similar.

Quote: Peter Gash @ April 27 2009, 2:17 PM BST

Battlestar Galactica invented the re-imaging genre - it took existing characters, an existing situation and the existing premise and then took the lot in a totally different direction.

I think a lot of other films and shows did it before then, such as Tim Burton's Batman. BSG just happens to be one of the more succesful.

I think why Perrin works well as a re-imagining is that the source material is a series of novels, rather than the TV show. Also, we should never be that precious that we can't remake old series, and try to breathe life into them.

That said, it is early days, so I'll hold off deeming it a success until the series has finished.