Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 4

When is this coming out?

Quote: Aaron @ January 21 2009, 1:10 PM GMT

Blimey.

Not going to read! Lalalalal! *sticks fingers in ears*

Surely you should be covering your eyes if you don't want to read...or can you hear out of your eyeballs?

Quote: Aaron @ January 20 2009, 8:44 PM GMT

Thanks TB, interesting analysis there. It's going to be an interesting series at very least. What industry is he working in?

He is a Sales Manager for 'Groomtech', responsible for shaving products. His colleague, played by Lucy Liemann, is the new marketing manager responsible for 'lotions' amongst other things. Much of the storyline for the episode I saw, revolved around Perrin's crush on Lucy Liemann's character, mirroring the fantasies Leonard Rossiter had for his secretary in the original series (N.B Perrin has a secretary in this series, but her character is that of a young, rather unintelligent girl). Perrin manages to manipulate his bosses impulse to go for 'globalisation' by arranging a business trip to Finland for him and his attractive colleague. However, events, his conscience and an unexpected visit from his boss prevent him from having his wicked way.

Prior to the recording, the audience were shown a short summary of the story to date, presumably from episodes 1 & 2. A nice touch was Martin Clunes as Perrin, walking to work past the original 'Sunshine Desserts' building from the original series, and entering the building next door.

A slightly unnerving 'theme' was the theme music itself. Unless the producers are going to commission a new arrangment before transmission, the opening and closing credits, as well as incidental music, have been lifted directly from the original series.

If anyone is interested, the show records at Teddington studios on either a Friday or Saturday evening. As of last Friday, the studio guys who briefed us prior to the show said they were still needing audience members for the last two episodes. I got tickets (free) from http://www.sroaudiences.com/

Thanks for the additional info on the plot. I completely understand the crush on Lucy Liemann :$

Quote: jacparov @ January 21 2009, 7:33 PM GMT

When is this coming out?

As True Briton says, filming hasn't finished yet (then they've got editing etc), so it won't be for a while.

I reckon this will fall on its arse. I know that BBC Three comes up with endless crap but nontheless there is still enough good new comedy about to mean people don't have to recycle and, possibly mar the memory, of great comedy from yesteryear (I f**king love this phrase).
Only because there are very few serious actors about who can also be funny, Martin Clunes probably is the nearest thing to a modern day Leonard Rossiter.

Hi,

I'm Ben, the series producer of the new Reggie Perrin.

I hope you'll give the show a chance when it goes out.

It's very much a labour of love from David and Simon.

It's really not a remake of the 1970s original, which I agree is a classic. We'd be mad to try and recreate it.

What we've tried to do is create the Reggie story for the 2000s.

Bear in mind, Reggie was a series of books, adapted for TV. So in many ways, what we're doing is no different to what happens to, say, Dickens.

There's room for more than one take on Oliver twist, and I hope you'll see that there's more than one take on Reggie Perrin.

And don't forget, Reggie in the books more resembled Ronnie Barker than Leonard Rossiter, and was in fact David's first choice for the part.

Best wishes,

Ben

Quote: Ben Farrell @ February 3 2009, 9:20 PM GMT

Hi,

It's really not a remake of the 1970s original, which I agree is a classic. We'd be mad to try and recreate it.

Bear in mind, Reggie was a series of books, adapted for TV. So in many ways, what we're doing is no different to what happens to, say, Dickens.

There's room for more than one take on Oliver twist, and I hope you'll see that there's more than one take on Reggie Perrin.

And don't forget, Reggie in the books more resembled Ronnie Barker than Leonard Rossiter, and was in fact David's first choice for the part.

Best wishes,

Ben

I'm really looking forward to this, Ben. I actually enjoyed The Legacy of Reginald Perrin, even though it was obviously missing a main character (although Geoffrey Palmer kind of filled that role). A remake is better than a sequel in that it doesn't hark back to the past. I hope production continues to run well. Presumably, a late Summer transmission is expected?

Quote: Ben Farrell @ February 3 2009, 9:20 PM GMT

Hi,

Best wishes,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for dropping by - it's good to hear what you say on the new show. I just wonder if people will be able to get past the Perrin name and all that it means though it sounds like this is all that connects the two shows.

The Dickens comparison is a good one and like you say the story came from books first though I'm afraid very few will know that.

I shall vertainly be watching and I wish you every success with the new show.

Yes, thanks Ben! Good to have your input. Definitely a bit more reassured having read your intentions directly. Puts it in perspective a bit.

Glad to have you around anyway. Hope you'll stick by for the comments on broadcast! :)

Does anyone know yet when this series will be broadcast? I had heard that it was intended to be April with the DVD following in June.

Quote: True Briton @ January 21 2009, 11:21 PM BST

A nice touch was Martin Clunes as Perrin, walking to work past the original 'Sunshine Desserts' building from the original series, and entering the building next door.

http://www.shadyoldlady.com/location.php?loc=769

Use the post code therein to find the place on Google Street View. :)

Quote: Nick @ April 3 2009, 1:55 PM BST

Does anyone know yet when this series will be broadcast? I had heard that it was intended to be April with the DVD following in June.

AFAIK it's not been confirmed yet. Keep checking https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/perrin/ for the latest.

Quote: Tuumble @ February 3 2009, 10:51 PM BST

Hi Ben,

I just wonder if people will be able to get past the Perrin name

Hey that's my name you're slandering! :)

I've only just seen this thread but I went to the recording of the first episode of the remake earlier this year. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the series.

It's always a different experience being in the studio obviously (for example the biggest laughs came from Martin Clunes throwing his briefcase into his 'office' and appearing to smash a hole in the set). They had to fix that and do about 7 retakes for what is probably a two second clip!

But it felt like a fresh remake to me and I think they'll play up more the fact that he's in love with one of the characters at work this time round. Martin Clunes did a great job with it I thought. It was hard not to miss Reggie's old boss though which is maybe why they went for someone totally different in style.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned here but Simon Nye (Men Behaving Badly) co wrote it with the original writer David Nobbs. Simon can therefore write to Martin's strengths and David will keep elements of the original I'm sure.

I'd recommend watching with an open mind!

Jane (Perrin) x

BBC site has this down as unplaced in the week of 18th - 24th April.

Quote: Tuumble @ October 16 2008, 4:14 PM BST

Also true...but a dangerous game as people are already prejudiced against it. What next? Remakes of Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army?

If you'd like to see the promotional clip for the American remake of Fawlty Towers, called Amanda's and starring Bea Arthur (who went on to become best known for The Golden Girls), it starts at about the 17 second mark of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pQjnxq8-qI

And there was the CBS remake, called Payne, which starred John Laroquette (from Night Court) and lasted for 9 episodes in 1999.