Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Antrax @ April 4 2009, 9:40 AM BST

BBC site has this down as unplaced in the week of 18th - 24th April.

And Martin Clunes is a guest on Jonathan Ross on April 17th - presumably to plug Perrin - so that all seems to tie in.

Just waiting for this to be confirmed, but this will almost certainly be dropping into one on the Friday night slots... my guess is it'll follow on from Have I Got News For You.

Watch this space for updates.

P.S. Changed the thread title as the show is now called Reggie Perrin, rather than just 'Perrin'.

Saw a trailer for this earlier. Friday 24th, 21:30, BBC One.

They're even using the same theme tune. :(

Same old issue. Why can't they come up with something new?:(

But then again, would people be as bothered if Nye had come up with a sitcom along the same lines but with a different name? People would label it 'Perrin-esque', but the idea of someone becoming disillusioned with their life and faking their own death isn't unheard of, nor is there a rule it can only happen once in comedy.

People like My Family, yet in many ways that's really a modern evolution of No Place Like Home, which in turn owed a fair amount to Bless This House.

I think it's the name that hurts; if the new show is a flop then it upsets fans of the original for 'damaging' it in some way. Conversely if the new version is a success it'll take something away from the original somehow; fans of the original want to celebrate that, not the rip-off.

A case in point is the US versions of Ealing comedies, and that dreadful version of School For Scoundrels. The original is one of my favourite films, but the remake barely stuck to the same plot so why use the name? The original, superior yet lesser known, film is now buried by the crap later one.

I think that the name is exactly the problem. As you say in the case of School For Scoundrels, the latter version 'overrode' the earlier. If the new show had its own name then it would be linked to the original in terms of plot and such, but wouldn't be irrevocably linked.

Well, that made sense in my head.

Back on topic, here's a couple of stills from the show.

It looks a lot of fun. For more, see our guide to the show

I say give it a chance.
I didn't think that Steve Martin would make a success of Bilko.
Or Clouseau.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ April 11 2009, 2:01 AM BST

I say give it a chance.
I didn't think that Steve Martin would make a success of Bilko.
Or Clouseau.

Lol. I'm a Steve Martin fan but that did make me chuckle.

In fairness though, everyone thinks of Reginald Perrin as a show written for Leonard Rossiter. It isn't, it is based on books written by David Nobbs (though he also scripted the programme). So Martin Clunes is having a go at this literary creation. Rather like Sherlock Holmes, Peter Cushing did it, then Jeremy Brett did. Yet it is based on books and should someone else play Holmes people wouldn't be that bothered.
But I will give it a go, but I can't see myself enjoying it as Rossiter's performance is too strong for someone else to carry it on.

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 11 2009, 10:31 AM BST

In fairness though, everyone thinks of Reginald Perrin as a show written for Leonard Rossiter. It isn't, it is based on books written by David Nobbs (though he also scripted the programme). So Martin Clunes is having a go at this literary creation. Rather like Sherlock Holmes, Peter Cushing did it, then Jeremy Brett did. Yet it is based on books and should someone else play Holmes people wouldn't be that bothered.
But I will give it a go, but I can't see myself enjoying it as Rossiter's performance is too strong for someone else to carry it on.

Agree 100%

I think so too. With someone as unique as Rossiter it will be very difficult to forget his version unless the rest of the programe looks and feels totally different. But if it is totally different then it becomes just another sitcom, which begs the question again: what was the point?

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 11 2009, 10:31 AM BST

I think you answered your own point there, Jack.

I don't think that anyone really considers it a show 'for' LR. But his performance as Reginald Perrin was sublime. It left nothing to be desired, no weaknesses - just sheer perfection. That is why people have a problem with this version of the show. It's seen as trying to improve on something which is already beyond brilliant.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 11 2009, 11:09 AM BST

But if it is totally different then it becomes just another sitcom, which begs the question again: what was the point?

Not sure I follow. "If it's another sitcom, what's the point in making it?" Is that what you're saying? If so ... well, it's another sitcom. That's the point. New comedy. Something for us to laugh at.

I never really got into the original, but I only watched the first couple of episodes and I hear it's after that it kicks in.

I'll give this new version a go.

Looks like another Steve Martin/Inspector Clouseau job.

Send in the Clunes.

Quote: Aaron @ April 11 2009, 6:30 PM BST

Not sure I follow. "If it's another sitcom, what's the point in making it?" Is that what you're saying? If so ... well, it's another sitcom. That's the point. New comedy. Something for us to laugh at.

I mean what's the point of choosing it for a remake (or even contemplating any remakes for that matter). *Hopefully* they're only doing it because they think they can bring something new to it, but it's one of those shows (and one of those characters) that is indelibly linked to one performer. It's got that central issue above other barriers a remake faces. Why take something so highly regarded, fondly remembered and fairly ground breaking and do another version if it becomes just another sitcom? They've really set themselves a tough task with this one. Why not just commission another sitcom, or maybe even not cancel one of the ones they have recently canned...?