Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 6

Quote: Ben @ April 11 2009, 6:48 PM BST

I never really got into the original, but I only watched the first couple of episodes and I hear it's after that it kicks in.

That's correct, yes.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 11 2009, 11:07 PM BST

I mean what's the point of choosing it for a remake (or even contemplating any remakes for that matter). *Hopefully* they're only doing it because they think they can bring something new to it, but it's one of those shows (and one of those characters) that is indelibly linked to one performer. It's got that central issue above other barriers a remake faces. Why take something so highly regarded, fondly remembered and fairly ground breaking and do another version if it becomes just another sitcom? They've really set themselves a tough task with this one. Why not just commission another sitcom, or maybe even not cancel one of the ones they have recently canned...?

Ah I see. Yes. Ok. Um. I probably agree, but it's gone 2:00 am. :)

If I'd known whatsername from Cold Feet was in it I might've made more of an effort to go to the recordings.

I'll give it a go though.

Quote: Tom G @ April 3 2009, 9:07 PM BST

Never contact your heroes!

You just sent me an e-mail!

I'm a glutton for punishment!

One thing that I am very happy about is that the character of Jimmy/Harry will be in these shows played by Geoffrey Whitehead. Sad that Geoffrey Palmer doesn't reprise the role but he is such a great character that I really hope it works.

Because the original series was quite dark for a sitcom, I think it would have been a good idea to remake it as a serious drama with no studio audience/canned laughter. Sadly, I noticed in the tailer that there is a studio audience and all the 'new' characters look dire and typically unfunny for a brand new 21st century BBC sitcom.

I can't believe how many sitcoms, new and old have returned on BBC One. In the last few months we've had.....

The Life Of Riley - Brand new series
The Old Guys - Brand new series
The Green Green Grass - 4th series
Not Going out - 3rd series
My Family - 9th series ;) >_<

......and something I realised recently is that after 'Men Behaving Badly' finished 10 years ago, Neil Morrissey went on to do the awful sitcom 'Carrie & Barry' scripted by MBB's Simon Nye (who is co-scripting this 'Reggie Perrin' remake with David Nobbs Errr) and Caroline Quentin recently did 'The Life Of Riley' and we all know what that was like :( (as well as 'Kiss Me Kate', years before TLOR). And now Martin Clunes has got this new sitcom vehicle which, if it follows that pattern, can only mean no laughs.

Yeah what the hell is it with these returning new sitcoms?

Come on BBC don't mug us up like a five bob!

Quote: johnny smith @ April 14 2009, 10:24 PM BST

I can't believe how many sitcoms, new and old have returned on BBC1. In the last few months we've had.....

The Life Of Riley - Brand new series
The Old Guys - Brand new series
The Green Green Grass - 4th series
Not Going out - 3rd series
My Family - 9th series

I may be very dense but I didn't understand the point that you were making. New series can't return obviously. Were you saying that you're impressed with the BBC for backing sitcoms? I'm not sure anything has changed really.

The 'returned' just refers to the old sitcoms. I was just trying to put that all in one sentence....and no, I am not saying it is a good thing that the BBC are making all these old and new sitcoms in the last few months.

The preview for this made it look a bit run of the mill, with the absurdities of the original replaced by the kind of thing you'd see in a typical pre-watershed Beeb sitcom.

It's up to Clunes to give us a top notch powerhouse performance!

Quote: johnny smith @ April 14 2009, 10:24 PM BST

Caroline Quentin recently did 'The Life Of Riley' and we all know what that was like :( (as well as 'Kiss Me Kate', years before TLOR).

Kiss Me Kate was brilliant.

Quote: Nick @ April 15 2009, 12:18 AM BST

I may be very dense but I didn't understand the point that you were making. New series can't return obviously. Were you saying that you're impressed with the BBC for backing sitcoms? I'm not sure anything has changed really.

He's saying that he doesn't think any of them are any good.

Quote: Aaron @ April 16 2009, 8:40 PM BST

He's saying that he doesn't think any of them are any good.

Ah, I see. He is wrong in one or 2 cases though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjK8A8viW4

Well Clunes was a bit non-committal on Jonathan Ross... Enjoyed making it but doesn't know what people will make of it. Thats usually a warning..

I thought the clip was alright. The line about his balls made me laugh.