Would I Lie To You? - Series 3 Page 4

I can see a possible flaw in Sebastian's plan...

Anyway, back on topic. Thought Rob Brydon was fine as a host, but would have preferred Angus. I still worry that Rob will get too much involved in the banter (at which he is not brilliant) and we'll lose the exchanges between David and Lee (there were none of note tonight).

Did not enjoy Brydon as a host. Just don't like him, and like I predicted he is way too intrusive and takes the spotlight.

David was hilarious in this episode. The stuff about the tears welling up for the hitchhiker was brilliant.

Yes, I thought that Brydon was butting in too much as well.

I thought it was very funny, laughed all the way through.

I really liked last night's show. However, there was one thing that is puzzling me - why have they moved the show from 9pm to 10.35pm?

Quote: Aaron @ August 10 2009, 11:16 PM BST

Pretty funny. But I can't help the feeling that this show really scrapes the barrel of panel show premises.

Quote: Aaron @ August 10 2009, 11:32 PM BST

As Seen On TV is great. And has substance, there's a point to it - TV trivia.

Gosh, I really don't agree with that at all. As Seen On TV is a complete humour free zone because they take the format far too seriously (and actually try to answer the questions correctly rather than risk being funny!)... whereas Would I Lie To You is all about being funny first, and right second. And that's how it should be.

I think it's the perfect panel show format - not only does it provide humour in trying to watch people wriggle out of the holes they have dug themselves into, and bring up some genuinely interesting/amazing truths (e.g. Michael Aspel shadow boxes before walking out on a TV set)... but the format also allows the show to dart between topics and for comedians to josh each other - prime territory for comedy.

Seriously, I think this is one of the best panel shows for a very long time.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 11 2009, 8:21 PM BST

I really liked last night's show. However, there was one thing that is puzzling me - why have they moved the show from 9pm to 10.35pm?

The BBC schedulers really have lost the plot this year haven't they!

I agree with Mark. I've always liked this show and it is still funny. The game element generates fun and some nosey-parkery titbits.

BBC must hate it though - 10.35, in August, and on a Monday to boot. Sounds like the death knell to me.

Quote: Mark @ August 12 2009, 2:34 AM BST

Gosh, I really don't agree with that at all. As Seen On TV is a complete humour free zone because they take the format far too seriously (and actually try to answer the questions correctly rather than risk being funny!)... whereas Would I Lie To You? is all about being funny first, and right second. And that's how it should be.

I find As Seen On TV very funny, and as a TV-head, love the serious trivia aspect. I think you've missed the point of it if you're expecting a laugh-a-minute show like HIGNFY, Would I Lie To You?, Never Mind The Buzzcocks et. al are meant to be. It's a good, fun, trivia panel game, with real questions and answers. Finally, a quiz show with answers I'm not too stupid to know the answer to!

I really think you're coming at it from the wrong direction, with quite different expectations to what I believe is intended.

And just to bring it back to WILTY?: It's funny, but not satisfying. It doesn't feel like there's any substance to it.

Quote: Badge @ August 12 2009, 2:39 AM BST

BBC must hate it though - 10.35, in August, and on a Monday to boot. Sounds like the death knell to me.

Perhaps they felt that now that Angus has gone, there is no future in the show despite Brydon hosting it.

I agree with Badge who agrees with Mark.

:)

I agree with Jane who agrees blah blah blah blah blah.

No, really, I do. :D