We Are Klang Page 7

Quote: The Giggle-o @ August 3 2009, 11:09 PM BST

I agree with you on this Lee but definitely not on 'The Kevin Bishop Show'. Having seen the second episode filmed I struggled to see how they'd edit it but they did a good job, even if by the very nature of the comedy it felt a bit all over the shop. Although it still didn't get anywhere near as funny as their live act. A few little tasters in the first episode of things they did in their act though, but as someone said earlier it felt a bit of a pared down version of WAK.

Making the transition from live act to TV show is always going to be problematic I think - I know League Of Gents purists who still maintain that the live comedy shows were much better than the actual TV series. (Which I think is bollocks, but there you go.)
Klang's live act is very edgy and sweary, and obviously the Beeb (in the current climate of being desperate to not offend too many people) have softened Klang's spiky edges somewhat for the TV show. But having seen them live, I really think the TV show has captured the spirit of Klang. I think it was a master stroke allowing them to experiment and interact with the audience, and all credit to the producers for not clipping their wings in that way. I must say I've been surprised by the critical backlash of the show - but I think it's good in the respect that it's polarized opinion. It's definitely what I like to call a "Marmite" show, as in you either love it or hate it. I think I'd rather write a show that has people calling it "shit" and other people calling it "brilliant", as opposed to the majority of people saying "Yeah, it was alright."

Watched the first episode in full, quite liked it.

Yeah, I got round to watching the whole thing instead of just the middle bit.

I definitely preferred it to what I've seen of their live act. It wasn't brilliant but it certainly wasn't shit. I wouldn't put it in with Horne & Corden or TittyBangBang.

I'm going to watch some more of it and see what happens.

Oh, and I thought the Tracy Emin piss-take was fantastic. Pure genius.

One thing that annoyed me, were the reporter and the mayor; both putting in terrible, kids TV performances. It was like they'd just walked off the set of Basil Brush.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 4 2009, 1:20 PM BST

One thing that annoyed me, were the reporter and the mayor; both putting in terrible, kids TV performances. It was like they'd just walked off the set of Basil Brush.

The mayor was Debbie Chazen wasn't it? She's fab. Her performance was akin to a panto. I dunno, I think it worked. I didn't like the "Wikipedia of wankers" line though.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 5 2009, 12:55 PM BST

The mayor was Debbie Chazen wasn't it? She's fab.

I like her in other stuff, like The Smoking Room, but I just didn't buy the style of performance in this.

Here's Greg doing some solo standup. Never seen him outside of Klang before. Very funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwqQ3vZYlXI

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 5 2009, 1:23 PM BST

Never seen him outside of Klang before.

The Inbetweeners?

Cheers for the link.

Quote: Afinkawan @ August 4 2009, 1:08 PM BST

I wouldn't put it in with Horne & Corden or Tittybangbang.

Yeah, that would be an insult to Horne & Corden or Tittybangbang.

Just watched this on iPlayer and found it to be very funny actually, especially as it's only the first episode. True, some things need a bit of work, but it had so many good ideas and a great amount of energy in terms of pace and the interaction between Rik Mayall, Mark Watson and Matt Lucas (yes, they are really them...). Plus, it was really funny for me. I'll definitely be tuning in for the second episode.

Quote: sootyj @ July 31 2009, 7:15 PM BST

The Goodies were way way superior. They're generally viewed as the other Python.

Only funnier.

I watched it again tonight. Love it! :D

Quote: Leevil @ August 3 2009, 1:21 PM BST

*high-five*

bakatcha

Cool

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 6 2009, 2:04 AM BST

Only funnier.

Yes. And 'Wings' were the band 'The Beatles' might have been.