Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 7

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 29 2010, 4:58 PM BST

Not at all - but theres a difference between "i don't find him funny" and "he's shit"

Any comic on TV is not a "shit" comic...more so if you're the biggest stand up act on TV in years!

Well, thank goodness we can get this thread back on track, finally.

If somebody wants to describe Mikey Mac as shit then that is their prerogative. I wouldn't call him that. I'd describe him more as 'mundane' or 'abysmal'. But I wouldn't ever describe him as 'shit'. That's just rude.

I guess he's just lucky...the style of comedy he likes to perform is the same style that most people like to see.

It's like being a really good badminton player and being pissed that a less talented tennis player makes more money/achieves more fame because their style of racquet sport is more popular. Though neither would be "shit" at what they do.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 29 2010, 6:00 PM BST

most people like to see.

I would say 'a lot of people' rather than 'most'. Splitting hairs? Maybe.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 29 2010, 4:58 PM BST

Any comic on TV is not a "shit" comic...more so if you're the biggest stand up act on TV in years!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Keep it coming, Mr Lewis, keep it coming...

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 29 2010, 6:00 PM BST

I guess he's just lucky...the style of comedy he likes to perform is the same style that most people like to see.

Yes, but what you conveniently forget to point our here is that most people are feudal morons, wallowing in their own fecklessness. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 29 2010, 11:25 PM BST

Yes, but what you conveniently forget to point our here is that most people are feudal morons, wallowing in their own fecklessness. :)

It's a nice idea, and certainly helps the minority feel better when they don't understand the majority. But the reality is it's not often the case. The demographic of people that like any form of popular entertainment (X Factor, MM, etc) is huge. At a MM gig you will find young, old, rich, poor, stupid and clever. You simply can't be as big as he has become without hitting many different types of people's funny bone.

And ultimately, if you were right...who's having the most fun? The 100 people at the party, all laughing and jolly....or the 5 stood outside saying "that's a shit party and they must all be idiots"?

I hope you're not saying that those who don't like something a lot of people do are in some way 'wrong' Mr Lewis! :P

Actually, I don't think you are. Maybe. I dunno, I'm stupid.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 30 2010, 12:03 PM BST

You simply can't be as big as he has become without hitting many different types of people's funny bone.

That's Life used to get huge laughs across the nation, because they showed vegetables that looked a bit rude. On this evidence, Tim's tongue-in-cheek assertion that most people are feudal morons cannot be completely dismissed.

One of our nationally syndicated morning radio show hosts was talking about seeing MM while in the UK and became angry during the show because people were laughing at every little thing he said and did. He said on the show that he totally doesn't understand his appeal.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 30 2010, 1:03 PM BST

One of our nationally syndicated morning radio show hosts was talking about seeing MM while in the UK and became angry during the show because people were laughing at every little thing he said and did. He said on the show that he totally doesn't understand his appeal.

Then he can come and join me in the minority group and watch some elitist comedy instead!

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 29 2010, 11:25 PM BST

The fact that Michael McIntyre doesn't view the general public as "feudal morons" is probably why he's a household name where as acts such as Stewart Lee (who may share this sort of view) will forever remain on the periphery of TV and the mainstream (and are probably quite happy about this).

Ha, good point.

Have you run out of Lithium again, Tony? Very feisty the last couple of days. ;)

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 30 2010, 1:21 PM BST

The fact that Michael McIntyre doesn't view the general public as "feudal morons" is probably why he's a household name

But how do we know?! It could all be an act, he might be a monster in private, beating his children and spitting fury at his adoring public. Maybe. Probably not.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2010, 1:40 PM BST

... he might be a monster in private, beating his children and spitting fury at his adoring public.

'Recognise this?'

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 30 2010, 1:26 PM BST

Have you run out of Lithium again, Tony? Very feisty the last couple of days. ;)

Just boredom really and procrastination when I should be doing other things (writing and phoning around for gigs mostly).

:D