Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 4

I've got my eye on you, mister.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 28 2010, 12:02 PM BST

And she's not lonely- she makes it quite clear that she has been with her partner for 4 years.

That doesn't actually mean that that's not what her jokes are about though, does it? Which, after all, is what Gelgoog said.

I don't think any of her jokes are about being lonely are they? I can't remember any from the full show- which is what this appearance was from. Maybe it's more of a perceived loneliness.

Perhaps she doesn't state loneliness as being a theme (I don't remember the last time I saw her - not watched last week's Roadshow yet), but it's certainly an impression that she gives off, of her material/persona being slightly sad, needy, chocolate-obsessed, stereotypical single woman.

*twitch twitch*

I've always found Sarah's comedy really heartwarming and uplifting. It's refreshingly honest for modern standup, and it's something a lot of people (men included) can connect with. I always come away from seeing her really happy, and so does Dan and by the looks of it everyone else who I see leaving!

If that weak stereotype is all you see, then that's your loss. A big sad loss.

Quote: Gelgoog @ September 28 2010, 10:42 AM BST

Hopefully he's not losing his edge.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I watched McIntyre's contributions to see why anyone might like it. Which century is he living in? Those sorts of taps have been around for decades, and Raoul Moat material is stale as a 2 Ronnies BR sandwich. He presents it well, but it's a bit like a poo covered in glistening bluebottle flies, all bright and shiny and lovely on the eye, but still just a piece of shit.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 28 2010, 4:33 PM BST

I've always found Sarah's comedy really heartwarming and uplifting.

She certainly has 'something' special. I wonder if that's her real voice, or a carefully crafted comedy tool?

Quote: Nogget @ September 29 2010, 2:09 PM BST

I watched McIntyre's contributions to see why anyone might like it. Which century is he living in? Those sorts of taps have been around for decades, and Raoul Moat material is stale as a 2 Ronnies BR sandwich. He presents it well, but it's a bit like a poo covered in glistening bluebottle flies, all bright and shiny and lovely on the eye, but still just a piece of shit.

The other day, whilst washing my hair, I couldn't quite get the temperature right, between the hot and cold taps. It was, like, either REALLY cold or REALLY hot. Which I thought was hilarious.

Do you think he's 'observed' that yet?

Quote: Nogget @ September 29 2010, 2:09 PM BST

His job is to make people laugh...if he can take any subject (old or new) and use it to make people laugh then he's doing his job.

I can't understand anyone having a go at any comedian who is getting such huge laughs....it's like saying a 100m runner who does 8.5sec is shit because he ran it in old flip flops!

Yes, Mr Lewis, shame on us for having different opinions and critising the mainstream. How dare we. We should just learn to love him.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 29 2010, 2:15 PM BST

I can't understand anyone having a go at any comedian who is getting such huge laughs.

I prefer most food to McDonald's, I never read The Sun and I hate manufactured chart music, but I know they are very popular. To me, they're all crap; just my opinion, of course.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 2:14 PM BST

The other day, whilst washing my hair, I couldn't quite get the temperature right, between the hot and cold taps. It was, like, either REALLY cold or REALLY hot. Which I thought was hilarious.

Do you think he's 'observed' that yet?

I think Izzard done that on Dress to Kill - it was ace

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 2:30 PM BST

I think Izzard done that on Dress to Kill - it was ace

That's one Mr McIntyre can scrub off his big list of 'obvious stuff' wall chart thing!

True enough.

It's strange, what divides people comically.

Personally, I think that observational stuff, if done right, is incredible. The stuff that makes you look at things, see that you do the same, look at the person next to you who's also enraptured and share a laugh about the state of humanity with a horde of faceless strangers.

Contrast that to acerbic, nasty comedy who will make factions laugh, but only to the detriment of others.

As someone said earlier on this thread though, McIntyre is the perfect host and whilst he alienates some, I doubt there are many more suited comedians to a prime time Saturday night slot.

For what it's worth - I though McIntyre was OK (I am a fan), Joesion was really excellent, Simon Evans was brave and funny, Imran Yusuf was a tad disappointing (certainly after Edinburgh hype) - really mimicking the Chris Rock style, with Eddie Murphy chuckles thrown in, and Millican was nicely funny. Doesn't stand out as a headliner though, but in honesty I still have that inbuilt 'it'saladysoIprobablywon'tidentifywithherasmuch'. I'm beating it, I promise!

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 2:43 PM BST

True enough.

It's strange, what divides people comically.

Personally, I think that observational stuff, if done right, is incredible. The stuff that makes you look at things, see that you do the same, look at the person next to you who's also enraptured and share a laugh about the state of humanity with a horde of faceless strangers.

Contrast that to acerbic, nasty comedy who will make factions laugh, but only to the detriment of others.

As someone said earlier on this thread though, McIntyre is the perfect host and whilst he alienates some, I doubt there are many more suited comedians to a prime time Saturday night slot.

This is all very reasonable. I guess over (many) the years my own personal tastes (certainly as far as stand up is concerened) have veered from mainstream stuff to acts who are more of a fringe concern, such as Stewart Lee and Jerry Sadowitz. I guess you might call them acerbic.