Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2

For those wanting to know who is appearing in the second series, the BBC Press Office has just published a guide to the people performing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/08_august/31/mcintyre.shtml

There's an article on the front page of the site at the moment suggesting that not liking Michael McIntyre is a form of cultural snobbery. Is one not allowed to dislike the mainstream without being branded a snob, then? If I don't find the man funny, then that's the end of the matter. Snobbery has nothing to do with it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/sep/16/michael-mcintyre-comedy-roadshow

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 17 2010, 2:26 PM BST

There's an article on the front page of the site at the moment suggesting that not liking Michael McIntyre is a form of cultural snobbery. Is one not allowed to dislike the mainstream without being branded a snob, then? If I don't find the man funny, then that's the end of the matter. Snobbery has nothing to do with it.

Snob.

I find him to be an irritating unfunny twat!

I watched a bit of this but I hate shows with celebs in the audience. Do shots of C-listers laughing like drains really make jokes funnier?

Pretty good lineup this week. I felt a bit sorry for Milton- I like his stuff personally but I don't think he's quite the guy you put in as a 'warm up' guy. Good stuff though. "You selfish boy" :D
The young Glaswegian comic surprised me. Still honing his craft but quite a few gems. Loved 'When you commit murder here, you COMMIT!'
The Canadian guy was a riot. Canadian comics always seem to have alot of energy.
They mentioned it themselves, but Kevin Bridges really has come quite far in the last 12 months. Really gone from a relative unknown to one of the big names. Helps that his stuff is pretty good. He's not the first to do a version of the cinema ticket line bit but he did it well, especially tha Tarrantino reference.

I wasn't that keen....I like MM's stuff (sorry) but the rest left me a bit cold. Milton is ok but not really an act to warm up thousands. The young kid went to sex and blow job gags faster than an open mic act in a pub (maybe I'm too old!) and the canadian guy.....I struggled to see past the hair and the shorts (very energetic but visually distracting, for me)

Bridges...not my cup of tea. I find him a little boring if honest and I think its the accent - it almost seems like he's talking slow so we understand him....and in his telephone/cinema bit it just dragged it out.

Call me lowest common denominator...but MM in a revolving door did it for me :)

Top first episode, really had me laughing. Milton Jones wasn't on top form and wasn't best placed as the first act, but he was still excellent with his puns and his brilliant delivery. The young guy was suprisingly good for someone of his age and Kevin Bridges I didn't enjoy but was happy for him that he received such a fantastic response on his triumphant return to the show. McIntyre was excellent. Seriously, call him 'lowest common denominator' if you want, but the guy sells out arenas, gets ratings and must have really increased the recent interest in stand up comedy. The fact is that he can take mundane topics and express them in such a way that everyone finds it funny - that is a skill and an art.

I was pleasantly surprised with MM. I rather enjoyed him. I think Milton Jones was very good and didn't enjoy anyone else.

The only downside is that it perhaps favours gag merchants and not story tellers who may carry more intrinsic value as political commentators or people who are actually better at working a crowd over a full hour.

Quote: The LAw @ September 20 2010, 6:40 PM BST

The only downside is that it perhaps favours gag merchants and not story tellers who may carry more intrinsic value as political commentators or people who are actually better at working a crowd over a full hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUf4PQ-vuU&feature=related

Just seen the trailer for the next show - MM going on about the difficulties of using taps. Brilliantly inventive. There was me thinking that, on the whole, taps are generally mundane and easy-to-use - then MM makes me question my whole (previously indifferent) attitude to the "tap situation" in this country by pointing out that - actually, yes! - people have massive problems using taps. Do watch this trailer (I've Sky+'d it for repeat viewing) - this really is cutting-edge humour from a man at the top of his game. Next time you're having trouble using a tap, at least you'll be able to remember MM and have a smile - instead of (as usual!) pulling your hair out in frustration and anger.

I do hope that, in the show proper, he really expands into the everyday craziness surrounding mixer taps.

Or how about those taps where you think one is hot and the other is cold, but they're the other way round from normal? Or when you get no hot water from either tap!? How about those taps with washer problems/insufficient water pressure - where you turn and turn the tap and you only get a trickle? What's that about!? What about those taps in pub toilets that you have to press to start, but then when you release the pressure they stop? - They make washing your hands really difficult - got to be a good 10 minutes in that, Mr M? You could point out that "tap dancing" actually involves no use of taps - though that might be a bit esoteric and experimental for a mainstream show?

Taps, eh...?

Yes, taps.

What's wrong with taps? If it's funny, it's funny. No?

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 24 2010, 9:35 AM BST

What's wrong with taps? If it's funny, it's funny.

I think the key word there is "If".

I haven't seen the clip...but I'll bet people where laughing.

It's Sat night telly ..... people don't want clever satire or deep/dark subject matter - they want to laugh.