Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 3

Quote: The LAw @ September 26 2010, 10:51 PM BST

On TV it looked like the crowd were majorly into all the acts but Yusuf came out on top as the most popular. Am I right in thinking this?

Well, I thought that Yusuf was the most impressive.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 26 2010, 11:58 PM BST

Jimeoin was fantastic. Why isn't he on TV more often?

He lives in Australia for about half the year I think.

I didn't like Imran Yusuf, which I was disappointed about. I was expecting to like him. I think it's his delivery. Actually, I didn't much care for his material either.

Sarah Millican was by far the best. I was howling even though I've heard it before.

I thought McIntyre was the most impressive this week. I loved the Google Earth bit.

I was surprised by MM's Moat stuff...it was a subject matter that seemed at odds with his flouncing about. His Google earth stuff was one of those "why didnt I think..." moments!

Imran was good (despite the usual, I'm brown/suicide bomber gag) he had my 10 year old rolling round the floor anyway! His delivery was a bit shouty...like a porr Chris Rock.... almost seemed like he needed to chill out a bit. It sounded more tense than anything.

Can never get my head round Millican....its like your odd aunt doing stand up!

Sarah Millican is my role model.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 27 2010, 1:32 PM BST

Sarah Millican is my role model.

It's bad enough Premiership footballers and Cheryl Cole being adopted as role models - let's not start admiring stand ups as well! The vast majority of them are despicable people - vainglorious, desperately insecure alcoholics and dope fiends - with all the social graces of incontinent cattle.

BTW, do go see my very funny friend, stand up Paul Sinha, if you ever get a chance... Paul Sinha

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 27 2010, 7:04 AM BST

Well, I thought that Yusuf was the most impressive.

I'm surprised to read so many people offering similar views. I thought he was instantly forgettable. It's only because of the name that I can tell you're talking about him and not the other instantly forgettable guy (small eyes).

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 27 2010, 11:40 PM BST

It's bad enough Premiership footballers and Cheryl Cole being adopted as role models - let's not start admiring stand ups as well! The vast majority of them are despicable people - vainglorious, desperately insecure alcoholics and dope fiends - with all the social graces of incontinent cattle.

BTW, do go see my very funny friend, stand up Paul Sinha, if you ever get a chance... Paul Sinha

As an aspiring comedian, I don't think it's strange to look up to other jobbing comics.. is it?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 28 2010, 12:50 AM BST

I'm surprised to read so many people offering similar views. I thought he was instantly forgettable. It's only because of the name that I can tell you're talking about him and not the other instantly forgettable guy (small eyes).

This. I was expecting more out of him given his Best Newcomer award nomination (that's him, right?).

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 28 2010, 8:53 AM BST

As an aspiring comedian, I don't think it's strange to look up to other jobbing comics.. is it?

No - it's fine. A role model is someone whose example you follow. I have role models I don't even like if I believe the way they have done something is worth emulating.

Footballers and Girls Aloud aren't role models, they are something far far worse. If they were role models then boys would be practising football 23 hours a day and girls would be going to singing/dancing lessons. By and large, that's not the case for the average 15 year old kid who claims to idolise these people....while eating burgers, smoking and looking after their new baby.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 28 2010, 8:53 AM BST

This. I was expecting more out of him given his Best Newcomer award nomination (that's him, right?).

That's him...interestingly I see a criticism of his early work on Chortle was that he over dramatised his set....and I felt that was his weakness here. It's like he "presents" his set, rather than engaging the audience in it.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 28 2010, 9:28 AM BST

That's him...interestingly I see a criticism of his early work on Chortle was that he over dramatised his set....and I felt that was his weakness here. It's like he "presents" his set, rather than engaging the audience in it.

Yeah I mainly didn't buy into his delivery at all. Too Chris Rock shouty and it just didn't gel with me. Of course it's one hell of a jump for him, and I'm sure his adrenalin was through the roof. I would like to see him in a more low key setting.

I felt all the acts worked for various reasons. I like it when shows like this offer a broader range of stand ups with different styles.

McIntyre - I think he's a bit too comfortable being host. Last time he seemed to go more at it but this series is looking more like he's happy just doing a brief joke in between each act. Hopefully he's not losing his edge.

Jimeoin - I like this guy. I only recently became aware of him via BBC Three, so I was a bit disappointed to see him do similar to his set on there but he still kept it fresh. The whole proper use of eyebrows thing has more range than I thought. I agree it'd be nice to see more of him.

Imran Yusuf - Another that I first learned of from the BBC's coverage of Edinburgh Fringe. Normally I'd call this style of comedy played out and one note, but he has an edge which will hopefully make it work better than the likes of Shappi Khorsandi and Omid Djalili. I actually think there's a need for such a comedian in the mainstream, since mainstream stand up seems to be dominated by caucasian males.

Simon Evans - I can see why people wouldn't like him and he wasn't my favourite, but I admire his skill at weaving a character on stage. It's a different style of humour from most comedians and sometimes a self righteous arse can work as a persona. Remembering that this is a work of fiction is key.

Sarah Millican - Not bad but she's fast emerging as someone targetted at needy women. She has an audience (I know a few women who find her funny) but for me, jokes about being fat and lonely don't really cut it.

Quote: Gelgoog @ September 28 2010, 10:42 AM BST

Sarah Millican - Not bad but she's fast emerging as someone targetted at needy women.

... None taken.

Quote: Gelgoog @ September 28 2010, 10:42 AM BST

Sarah Millican - Not bad but she's fast emerging as someone targetted at needy women. She has an audience (I know a few women who find her funny) but for me, jokes about being fat and lonely don't really cut it.

She also has a big male following as well you know. And she's not lonely- she makes it quite clear that she has been with her partner for 4 years.

I will defend Sarah Millican as much as it takes. Fisty cuffs?

Jimeoin - I like this guy. I only recently became aware of him via BBC3, so I was a bit dissapointed to see him do similar to his set on there

Wait, a comic using the same material that he has before? Stop the presses! ;)

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 28 2010, 9:34 AM BST

Yeah I mainly didn't buy into his delivery at all. Too Chris Rock shouty and it just didn't gel with me. Of course it's one hell of a jump for him, and I'm sure his adrenalin was through the roof. I would like to see him in a more low key setting.

I gigged with him a few weeks back in a little venue in Covent Garden and he was amazing, his energy and delivery is top class.

I've also gigged with him on many occasions in the past and it's interesting to see the change in him, he was always a good act with plenty of passion and a livewire stage presence but something has happened to make it all "gel", his material, confidence and performance have all come together to make him an awesome live act and someone who will have a lot of success.

I think the biggest thing is that he has absolutely worked his nuts off in the last year or so and it's now reaping huge rewards, which is a lesson to all of us, keep working hard and one day it'll all come together.

Oh and lastly, I'm a man (well I was the last time I checked) and I think that Sarah Millican is one of the top comics working in the UK today, not one of the top FEMALE comics but one of the top comics fullstop and strangely enough she's another one who works incredibly hard (is there a pattern emerging here?).

Not trying to offend anyone. I hoped it was clear that a general theme of my post was that life offers a variety so there's something for everyone. These are just my opinions, which I'm not nearly arrogant enough to pass off as fact. Just because I say her material seems to target an audience of needy women doesn't mean I'm saying 'If you're female and like her, you're needy'.

If all this fails to convince, it wasn't me it was the one armed bandit!