Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 6

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:34 PM BST

Again, really doesn't scan.

How so.

You're looking at a very narrow view when it comes to the comedians job. Yes, most importantly people must laugh, but there are lots of other things that a comedian can be trying to do, things that won't always appeal to great numbers of people.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:18 PM BST

Yes, if you take it to extremes. If 90% of people think David Gray's music is better, what makes any of those 10% more correct?

Yes it's subjective, but in the long term, Bach is still highly-regarded hundreds of years later, David Gray is already an embarrassment. It won't be long before McIntyre is just as embarrassing to admit to liking as David Gray is now. IMO, of course! And if you like him, good for you; just don't be surprised that some of us are left cold, despite his popularity.

Ok - a 16th - 17th century playwright who obtained a primary role in entertaining royalty, compared to a current children's fiction author. I'd certainly say Rowling has proved 'better' at entertaining millions of kids across the world. But, yes, an asses head has given the odd smile too.

On top of this, Shakespeare is someone whose works have proved to stand the test of time. I'm a massive Shakespeare fan, but, and perhaps a little far-fetched, who's to say that in another 500 years time, ol' JK won't be more revered.

As we've already said, better was the wrong word. I don't think it scans, as they are two different figures, from two different times, doing two different things, for two different purposes.

To push this back to topic, if people say Michael McIntyre is second rate, then I'd again point to the majority who differ.

Sorry - just saw your response Nogget.

I've no problem with people being left cold - I've said that at the start of my involvement. I'm just pointing out that someone with genuine mass appeal, probably isn't rubbish.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:42 PM BST

To push this back to topic, if people say Michael McIntyre is second rate, then I'd again point to the majority who differ.

I'd say it makes him a better mainstream comedian, not a better comedian per se, than someone like, say, Simon Munnery, or Stweart Lee, who play to much smaller crowds.

Just saw your edited point, Mr. Stott.

And you're right. I am. Though in my defence, I'm only doing so in regards to the show, and it's slot.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:45 PM BST

Though in my defence, I'm only doing so in regards to the show, and it's slot.

Mc Intyre is a bit of a slot, isn't he.

I know you said no such thing - it's a forum, so I'm talking to the thread.

I've just deleted a response to that as I'm repeating myself - I can see Griff's point!

Quote: Nogget @ September 29 2010, 3:47 PM BST

Mc Intyre is a bit of a slot, isn't he.

Teary

Personally, I don't dislike McIntyre; he doesn't really do much for me most of the time, but his stuff is pleasant enough.

And stop editing - my comments look nonsensical!

Pirate

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:48 PM BST

I know you said no such thing - it's a forum, so I'm talking to the thread.

Now you look mad because I already deleted my response, mwu-ha-ha . . .

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:48 PM BST

And stop editing - my comments look nonsensical!

Pirate

This last page has made absolutely no sense.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 29 2010, 3:54 PM BST

This last page has made absolutely no sense.

Your face makes no sense.

*high fives self*

Look, right, Nat.

Mcintyre stinks, Millican was more than resonant with the male community, and Matthew Bloody Stott, is a forum tamperer (alleged). That's the lot.

Yeah, Nat; like a Picasso first draft.

Interesting trivia - most people think Super Mario is the better painter.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 29 2010, 4:02 PM BST

Your face makes no sense.

*high fives self*

Teary The doctor said there's nothing they can do..

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 2:21 PM BST

Yes, Mr Lewis, shame on us for having different opinions and critising the mainstream. How dare we. We should just learn to love him.

Not at all - but theres a difference between "i don't find him funny" and "he's shit"

Any comic on TV is not a "shit" comic...more so if you're the biggest stand up act on TV in years!