Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 5

That's true too - tastes change. My tastes when I was a student was the more controversial the better.

I've shied away from that now. Controversial jokes are fine if they're clever, but if it's couple with a lazy knob gag, I shy away.

Stewart Lee is a comedian who is blatantly clever and everyone I know loves him, but I just never find myself laughing. I'm entertained, but soundlessly. I think Sadowitz is hysterical, mind.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 2:43 PM BST

I still have that inbuilt 'it'saladysoIprobablywon'tidentifywithherasmuch'. I'm beating it, I promise!

:O

Don't you go turning me into a feminist!

Quote: Mr Lewis @ September 29 2010, 2:15 PM BST

His job is to make people laugh...if he can take any subject (old or new) and use it to make people laugh then he's doing his job.

I can't understand anyone having a go at any comedian who is getting such huge laughs....it's like saying a 100m runner who does 8.5sec is shit because he ran it in old flip flops!

To paraphrase Orwell, 'In the world of the third-rate, the second-rate has his own primetime comedy roadshow. With Terry Alderton guesting.'

No, you misread. I actually said "it's salady"...and...er...I could never identify with a vegetarian?

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:00 PM BST

I've shied away from that now. Controversial jokes are fine if they're clever, but if it's couple with a lazy knob gag, I shy away.

Oh definitely. This is why I dislike Frankie Boyle. Trying far too hard to be edgy.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:02 PM BST

No, you misread. I actually said "it's salady"...and...er...I could never identify with a vegetarian?

That's more like it. *grumble grumble*

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 3:04 PM BST

Oh definitely. This is why I dislike Frankie Boyle. Trying far too hard to be edgy.

Frankie Boyle used to be good, now it seems he only writes to shock, and not to make people laugh.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 29 2010, 3:02 PM BST

To paraphrase Orwell, 'In the world of the third-rate, the second-rate has his own primetime comedy roadshow. With Terry Alderton guesting.'

:D You may have to remind me of the source material there, Tim!

:D

I know it seems like I'm rushing to his defence, and I suppose I am a little. And perhaps this is a little simplistic, but if one comedian appeals to 10 people, and the other 100; surely the latter is funnier?

Also, if a comedian doesn't appeal to us, but he can sell out arenas and jump from zero to hero in around 5 years, then he'd (or she'd) be surely better than second rate.

I know there'd be an argument that the bastions of the stand-up Pantheon are first rate, and everyone inferior, so I'd better say I read that as 'he's not very good'.

Most of us on here have at least had a bash at comedy writing - and I don't know about you, but my goal is to make as many people laugh as possible and have absolutely no-one flinging turds at me.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:08 PM BST

I know it seems like I'm rushing to his defence, and I suppose I am a little. And perhaps this is a little simplistic, but if one comedian appeals to 10 people, and the other 100; surely the latter is funnier?

If Bach appeals to 10 people, and David Gray to 100, surely David Gray makes better music?

Yes, if you take it to extremes. If 90% of people think David Gray's music is better, what makes any of those 10% more correct? Any form of art is surely subjective, and if the subjects favour the one...

I know that that's an extreme example to refute my point, blatantly Bach was a genius - but it doesn't quite scan for me. If the role of a comedian is to entertain and make people laugh - he (or she, Nat) who makes more laugh stands the winner.

I think the term you are looking for is 'more universally enjoyed'. Not better, not worse, just appeals to more people.

Exactly - better is the wrong word. But if the aim is to be funny in front of a lot of people, which is seems an obvious goal for a stand-up, some people are more 'b' word than others.

Quote: Flavian @ September 29 2010, 3:18 PM BST

Yes, if you take it to extremes. If 90% of people think David Gray's music is better, what makes any of those 10% more correct? Any form of art is surely subjective, and if the subjects favour the one...

Then most people in the UK would think Harry Potter better than the works of Shakespeare.

Again, I can't see how that scans.

And to take quote a like that out of a deliberately placed context - poor form Pirate