Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 10

Quote: Tony Cowards @ October 4 2010, 9:59 AM BST

Have to say I don't really get the rise of John Bishop, he's a nice bloke and reasonably funny but there's at least 20 better stand ups out there, so quite why he's been picked for TV stardom I not sure (and it can't just be me who finds the Scouse accent particularly grating can it?).

I think there's a certain inoffensive, non-provocative charm to his persona - even if not always so 'mainstream' as that might imply, in his material - that appeals. As you say, "he's a nice bloke", and I think that comes across without being sickeningly so; he still maintains some element of blokey-ness, so can talk on almost any subject from love and relationships to beer and football without it seeming out-of-place or in some other manner awkward. I agree his material isn't perhaps the most exciting, even for a mainstream fan such as myself, but it's that accessible charm that's arguably his strongest point.

(Any northern accent.)

Plus, he's a family man and he's not bad to look at. He's popular with the housewives. Plus men feel like they could go have a pint with him. It's more about his personality than it is his material (which isn't great).

Is he widely believed to be handsome?
I found it funny in his own show, that they cast a much better looking man as the 'younger' him - who in fact looked the same age as John is now!

Seemed very odd.

I just assumed he was. In the world of standup, certainly.

As an uneducated Scouser, his historical career options are crime, music and comedy.

I can only assume he's an honest man who can't play a guitar.

We should celebrate his success.

I thought Miles was really good. Very funny.

Agree wholeheartedly about MM's FIFA comparison -- excellent.

Bishop is very funny (he says, conscious he has tix to see him at the end of the month), but seems (like Vic & Bob) to be much funnier 'off the cuff' when interviewed and he's especially funny on 5live's Fighting Talk when he's a guest. Almost always steals the show (as does Kevin Bridges).

Dan

Just saw this on iPlayer.

McIntyre's FIFA football was excellent - Alderton was surreal, and as someone said, not laugh-out-loud but he was ok. Moorhouse's 'women' line was ace, but my favourite joke was Jupp's:

'Give me your money.'

'What? All of it? Most of it's tied up in land'

I agree with the Simon Evans comparison though. And yep, it's all about the charm with Bishop, there're much funnier acts out there.

As to the Roy Walker bit, he's had about 20 years to prepare that line - but McIntyre did look a little put out.

Puns on the words 'Gallic' and 'mandate'? Did anyone enjoy that?

Not a particular MM hater but that was beyond poor.

Lost me when he "confused" iris with Irish. (felt like he though, ohh...off to Ireland, quick...make up a joke)

I've heard Jupp on radio and assumed he was well into middle age...his voice, to me, sounds a little like John Bird.

So tonight's show was in Bristol? Didn't hear a thing about this. And isn't it normally more than 30mins? That doesn't bode well.