BBC Comedy College Page 7

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 12, 2008, 12:35 PM

That's interesting as someone who doesn't find Catherine Tate or The Mighty Boosh funny could whinge that they only got commissioned because they're white.

Good point!

So how do we find apply??????????

Hello. To apply for the scheme people will need to have accomplished something.It's designed to accelerate careers, not teach basics. Successful writers will be involved with shows and mentors in a harmonious way rather than in forced marriages.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 12, 2008, 6:12 PM

Hello. To apply for the scheme people will need to have accomplished something.It's designed to accelerate careers, not teach basics. Successful writers will be involved with shows and mentors in a harmonious way rather than in forced marriages.

So by that you mean to have already written full shows for tv or radio rather than a few sketches on the radio I assume; oh well, maybe next year then!

Ha this thread is hilarious, some people think Two Pints has well-rounded and believable characters! That gave me a good laugh, thank you for that. :D

Quote: hotzappa11 @ February 11, 2008, 10:54 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, well, apart from own shows with production companies. But I've had sketches performed on stage, radio and will have some coming up on TV.

I'd be interested in knowing where people send sketches too in terms of getting them on radio or TV. A lot of production companies don't seem to accept sketch submissions. Anybody care to share?

Quote: Martin Holmes @ February 12, 2008, 7:53 PM

Ha this thread is hilarious, some people think Two Pints has well-rounded and believable characters! That gave me a good laugh, thank you for that. :D

I'd be interested in knowing where people send sketches too in terms of getting them on radio or TV. A lot of production companies don't seem to accept sketch submissions. Anybody care to share?

Mmm, as good as this site is for networking, it's understandable that people don't want to show all their cards...

No big secret for me, I just send out batches of sketches to production companies, every now and again one gets back to me.

To be fair, Martin, the majority of people who watch Two Pints probably are very similar to the shows characters. Or at the least they can go "Oh 'so and so' is just like my mate Jimmy". I'm not a fan of Two Pints, but it's impossible to not see why it's popular.

Back to the original point:

I guess the way to become successful is simply keep on writing and get yourself noticed. Perry Nium mentioned earlier that he enters every competition going. I'm only a beginner, but I believe that's the right way - you have to spread yourself about and take every opportunity you can.

Every great comedian started at the bottom, but obviously had a strong determination and self-belief.

This forum is slowly turning into the Two Pints discussion board. Most threads seem to drift from their original topics to a Two pints is great/two pints is shit debate. There is already a thread of the discussion of two pints and it should be the only place where it is discussed. I don't mind people discussing two pints in relation to the writing scheme, but when people are just posting why they think the show is shit, I think what's the point? Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter. Two Pints is great by the way!

There are ways to get your work to companies who say they don't accept unsolicited stuff.

I've just had a pilot passed onto the the head of development at a big indie who say they don't accept stuff.

If you do your research, you'll find most producers very pleasant.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 12, 2008, 6:12 PM

Nothing like wife swap then!
Thats me out.

Never watched the show, have you?

What a can of worms I've opened :O

The only questions that remain are:
If you are a writer with a few credits then how do you apply? Or do the Beeb already know who they want on the scheme? In which case, if you need to apply then there's no point in applying as you're not well-known enough.
:)

On Robin Kelly's blog it said the official announcement and call for applications will be made on March 12th.

Maybe Mr Jacob could confirm this?