BBC Comedy College Page 5

So if the accomplished writers who get on the scheme are getting mentored by already accomplished BBC writers to help them develop their skills and possibly their own shows, where does that leave the rest of us? What chance do we have?

I guess it's up to us to write and produce our own shorts and stick them on YouTube. Maybe even market them ourselves? Then YouTube get's all the good stuff and BBC get some accomplished writers to mentor.

I think I'm going to go the YouTube way, and not let a sham of a comedy writing scheme purturb my self confidence that I'll ever get anything I write made. I own a TV license, but I also have a PC, and as far as I'm aware I don't need a license for watching shows on that.

Unless I'm wrong? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

You don't need a licence to watch bbc shows on your pc. TV detector vans only detect if you're watching TV or not. They'd have to go a step up in technology to detect what the hell you were watching on your pc. Perhaps they'll ask the home office, they seem to know about bugging and stuff.

Well I'm excited about the new comedy writing scheme. I've had a few sketches on the radio which will hopefully make me eligible to apply, and if I don't make the cut this year I'll try again next year, while continually trying to be a better and funnier writer.

I think the scheme is a great idea and a cracking opportunity.

So, yeah. That is all I wanted to say.

Yep I'll be giving this a punt too - sounds like an unbelievable opportunity. I've had a few things on telly so (hopefully) should be eligible to apply. I don't think people should be too disappointed if they're not eligible though. There's always another compo around the corner, and despite what some might say, they genuinely are a good way in. I enter every compo going.

Would be nice to reach a stage where I don't have to though.

Quote: Rob B @ February 11, 2008, 10:33 PM

Doubly weird Aaron as it would appear nobody actually reads what you say. Doh!

Laughing out loud

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 11, 2008, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I think if any of us feel the urge to write something bitter or controversial on the writers' forum it would be best to post it somewhere it will never be read, e.g. bbc writersroom.

LOL.

Quote: roscoff @ February 12, 2008, 12:37 AM

If people read the stuff on here why is Little Miss Jocelyn still on? Or are we not the voice of the nation? Aaron will be disappointed!

I said they read it. I didn't say they always pay attention! Remember that apart from Mark and myself, the vast majority of posting members are aspiring writers. Not Joe Public who watches a show for enjoyment, but people who criticise criticise criticise and fail to see any worth in programmes. Not really the target audience, so do they really care that much what you think? Probably not.

Take Little Miss Jocelyn. I personally maintain that if she weren't black, she'd be stacking shelves in Tesco rather than being given her own TV show, but someone must like it. Two Pints is another great example. HUGELY successful show, very popular with its target audience, one of the BSG's most visited programmes, and pretty positive DVD sales. But no, practically no one can see any worth in it and just dismisses it as a piece of crap. If you don't like it then that's one thing, but I think it's pretty depressing for the industry that people who consider themselves to be upcoming, talented writers don't even watch, let alone appreciate, a show that's had so much success. No production company is going to take THAT big a risk, let alone the BBC, who receive huge criticism for whatever they do, and have to be careful with the licence fee.

A huge smash-hit show like Two Pints or My Family is roundly denounced by aspiring writers (the minority and not-target-audience), but more cult-y shows which writers praise are far more risky as an investment. The Mighty Boosh wasn't just commissioned on a whim. Noel and Julian have been working the live circuit for years, building up a following with their kind of humour and act, so the show was guaranteed to have an at least reasonable amount of success. Your opinions are far too easily skewed by bitterness and jealousy, and very few of you seem to be able to just WATCH a show without picking it completely apart. That's not what Joe Public does or how he watches, so your opinions have less worth. In short, you're not the target audience that the BBC has to or aims to please.

And that's why they don't always take note of what's said! :)

Quote: Hardcorr @ February 12, 2008, 3:32 AM

I own a TV license, but I also have a PC, and as far as I'm aware I don't need a license for watching shows on that.

No, but you do need a licence, depending on how you watch those shows exactly:

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/

Quote: Aaron @ February 12, 2008, 11:09 AM

Two Pints is another great example. HUGELY successful show, very popular with its target audience, one of the BSG's most visited programmes, and pretty positive DVD sales. But no, practically no one can see any worth in it and just dismisses it as a piece of crap. If you don't like it then that's one thing, but I think it's pretty depressing for the industry that people who consider themselves to be upcoming, talented writers don't even watch, let alone appreciate, a show that's had so much success. No production company is going to take THAT big a risk, let alone the BBC, who receive huge criticism for whatever they do, and have to be careful with the licence fee.

A huge smash-hit show like Two Pints or My Family is roundly denounced by aspiring writers (the minority and not-target-audience), but more cult-y shows which writers praise are far more risky as an investment. The Mighty Boosh wasn't just commissioned on a whim. Noel and Julian have been working the live circuit for years, building up a following with their kind of humour and act, so the show was guaranteed to have an at least reasonable amount of success. Your opinions are far too easily skewed by bitterness and jealousy, and very few of you seem to be able to just WATCH a show without picking it completely apart. That's not what Joe Public does or how he watches, so your opinions have less worth. In short, you're not the target audience that the BBC has to or aims to please.

And that's why they don't always take note of what's said! :)

I second that emotion.

I think Two Pints is a brilliant sitcom but for a young audience. I find there's more than enough gags in it and the storylines are good. She's a great writer of comedy, it's very witty

Lots of people eat McDonalds but it doesn't mean it's any good. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 12, 2008, 11:47 AM

Lots of people eat McDonalds but it doesn't mean it's any good. :)

But they eat there, they spend money there, and it's a hugely successful international business. Subway don't do burgers, but they've been wise enough to take influence from some of McDonald's' models and practices.

(BTW, McDonald's isn't nearly as bad and unhealthy as it's reputation would have one believe.)

I was just pointing out that something's popularity/sales etc is no indication of quality.

Quote: Laura Waurakins @ February 12, 2008, 11:55 AM

Have you or can you write something better?

Im my opinion yes and yes.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 12, 2008, 12:03 PM

I was just pointing out that something's popularity/sales etc is no indication of quality.

Well of course. I didn't argue that point, because comedy's worth is so individual, it'd be pointless to get into another purely "it's shite!", "no it's not!" discussion. :)

It really makes me belly-laugh and I'm not far off 70. I was gutted when Ralph Little left

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 12, 2008, 12:03 PM

Im my opinion yes and yes.

but objectively, can you see why 2 pints IS a good sitcom ? Just not to your taste. of course sales/ popularity is not the only barometer of something's quality, but, for the BBC, it should certainly be one of their foremost considerations.

Quote: Aaron @ February 12, 2008, 11:09 AM

Take Little Miss Jocelyn. I personally maintain that if she weren't black, she'd be stacking shelves in Tesco rather than being given her own TV show, but someone must like it.

That's interesting as someone who doesn't find Catherine Tate or The Mighty Boosh funny could whinge that they only got commissioned because they're white.

Although I didn't see Jocelyn's second series, the first series was mostly well written and funny. But if the writing doesn't work out for her as a long-term thing, rather than stacking shelves at Tesco, I'm sure as a brilliant actor she might find work elsewhere - just like Catherine Tate.

BBC? Diversity? It's political correctness gone mad! MAD!!!!