BBC Comedy College Page 8

I'm aiming at 12 March as the launch date. It won't be before, because I won't be here.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 13, 2008, 1:30 PM

I'm aiming at 12 March as the launch date. It won't be before, because I won't be here.

Ah - Hello Michael. So it's your baby is it?

Is the idea to find something good out of it or entertaining in the process of the writers developing or dropping out?

Are we to be the ultimate figures of fun?

Here or there?

Hello David

The idea is to help people along in their careers but some entertainment would be nice.

That's David out then. ;)

Saying that, my understanding is that there is what sounds like a good mentorship element to the scheme. I for one wouldn't mind being mentored by Armando Iannucci.

Instead of pushing money into creating a mass of My family/ 2 pints writers, why not take a risk on a new innovative writer? Why not use the money to commission new comedies instead of adding more writers to the same shitty sitcoms?

Welcome to the boards k tan. Wave

The BBC can't rely rely on taking risks. If I were to enter into this, I would be grateful of the experience. Pays your dues as a writer and when the time comes and you earn your place, then you can start changing the face of comedy.

Build foundations for it first, start at the bottom and turn around shows like My Family into something you think the world needs, it's pretty successful already, but what if it became bigger and you was the one to achieve that, then you would have your platform.

Be grateful they're opportunities at all.

hi leevil. I accidently deleted my post at the same time! Sorry, makes you look like you are replying to nothing..

You make a decent point Leevil. I do think however, that people aren't really getting excited about the prospect of being mentored, it's really just a way of building up contacts. For me there is nothing really that appealing about this scheme (but goodluck to all who choose to enter!)

p.s

Leevil i do hope you make it and change it for the better!

I am in a mood now!
I thought I could apply for something now I find out I can't. Just because of a weeny thing like credits. It is so not fair. If you have credits already you dont need the help. Bastards.
Thats like having people who have made a single already on X Factor.

BTW I think 2 pints is about as funny as a dose of crabs. The acticg is awful. I have watched it because it is reasonably entertaining when there is nothing else but a blue screen on.

Did you see that. I got to mention something that we should'nt mention, cause it is not the topic of the thread. I feel like a naughty girl now. I am sucking on my thumb and swinging my left leg.
I also am no longer moody. :)

hi leevil. I accidently deleted my post at the same time! Sorry, makes you look like you are replying to nothing..

No problem, I quoted enough to make it look like I'm not insane.

You make a decent point Leevil. I do think however, that people aren't really getting excited about the prospect of being mentored, it's really just a way of building up contacts. For me there is nothing really that appealing about this scheme (but goodluck to all who choose to enter!)

My advice is, take all the advice you can.

Leevil i do hope you make it and change it for the better!

Lol, thanks, you too!

:D

I totally believe that you cannot be taught how to become a good writer, you either are or you are not. Mentoring will probably only improve some parts of your game but not the main bulk.

If you have the talent you will be found out eventually.

Quote: k tan @ February 13, 2008, 2:23 PM

I totally believe that you cannot be taught how to become a good writer, you either are or you are not. Mentoring will probably only improve some parts of your game but not the main bulk.

I believe that too.

Quote: Charley @ February 13, 2008, 2:13 PM

BTW I think 2 pints is about as funny as a dose of crabs.

I thought you'd have got used to them by now.

Quote: Leevil @ February 13, 2008, 1:41 PM

That's David out then. ;)

That's true.

Cheers for the replies Michael, it's a bit of an honour to have you around.
:)
People, I think it's distracting to argue whether a particular show reflects on the value of this scheme because whether you like a show or not, you can't argue with Michael's pedigree.
:P

Quote: k tan @ February 13, 2008, 2:23 PM

At the core, I think that's true. But I still think you need to understand the business from the insiders point of view and ultimately, I think that's what you would get out of having an experienced mentor and their advice would be invaluable.