Any proof?

Quote: Seefacts @ February 14, 2008, 9:30 PM

Who says that's how it works then?

Any proof?

Did you say any poof?

Quote: Frankie Rage @ February 14, 2008, 9:45 PM

Did you say any poof?

No.

I have worked at Television Centre where it was acknowledged by some that minority groups were significantly over-represented. From what I saw personally, there seemed to be something in it. As for proof, I've never really thought about that. They probably have a 'diversity register' these days but it may not be in the public domain.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ February 14, 2008, 9:53 PM

I have worked at Television Centre where it was acknowledged by some that minority groups were significantly over-represented. From what I saw personally, there seemed to be something in it. As for proof, I've never really thought about that. They probably have a 'diversity register' these days but it may not be in the public domain.

What did you do at TV Centre? (If you don't mind me asking)

Quote: Seefacts @ February 14, 2008, 9:58 PM

What did you do at TV Centre? (If you don't mind me asking)

I set up and manned 'preview monitors' for shows being recorded, e.g. Ab Fab. They have projection screens rigged above the set to enable the audience to view pre-recorded material in sequence with the live shoot. They would also put a feed from the live shoot on the screens as well so people at the back could see more clearly.

It meant a lot of hanging around after the rigging (no glamour or artistic input though). I wasn't interested in writing at the time so I didn't make any effort to 'network' with anybody. I did a similar thing up at Pinewood for a while too. Quite interesting as you got to see the whole day from prior to the crew and 'talent' arriving for rehearsals right through the recording and until after the audience had gone home.

Btw I don't have any axe to grind about ethnic minorities or any other so called minority. I do however abhor positive discrimination as much as I detest discrimination itself. Both are equally divisive and IMO should not be tolerated.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ February 14, 2008, 10:09 PM

I do however abhor positive discrimination as much as I detest discrimination itself. Both are equally divisive and IMO should not be tolerated.

Agreed.

I actually made a complaint to the then-CRE about a contest a publisher (Penguin, I think) was running to find new writers. It was basically "whites need not apply". :D

Quote: sootyj @ February 14, 2008, 9:20 PM

I reckon the Mark Blake course shaved 6 months to a year off my writing career.

That doesn't sounds like much of an endorsement to me! Laughing out loud

Quote: James Williams @ February 14, 2008, 11:27 PM

That doesn't sounds like much of an endorsement to me! Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud

I think I know what he/she means.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 14, 2008, 12:45 PM

I disagree. There is no elite born with magic powers to write well; god does not hand gifts out to new borns of plumbing ability, doctoring ability, writing ability, etc. People decide what they want to do, learn how to do it, and then do it. Some might have a greater aptitude or a better attitude so they'll progress more quickly but it's not beyond anyone's reach.

It's true that people decide what they want to do and attempt to do it, but whether they succeed or not has nothing to do with wanting it. I've always wanted to be a great musician, but it ain't gonna happen because I haven't got the ability. I could learn about counterpoint etc. but I'd never be anything other than mediocre. Luckily I can do some things quite well. I did this. view picture

You may be able to do something similar yourself - but no-one can teach someone who can't do it to do it. Why? Ask a geneticist/neuroscientist.

Quote: Charley @ February 13, 2008, 2:37 PM

I beg to differ.
You can have some amazing ideas & not be as great at writing them down. A comp like this could endorse that.

I beg to differ too.
If you can't write down your ideas, you're not a writer!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ February 14, 2008, 9:23 PM

I see you've had some experience of the Beeb then.. :(

What about the 50 points for being northern?

ps - DOWN HERE people! Below that dreadful pic of a steam train

Actually there was a steam train, but it's gone into the tunnel.

Quote: Croydesponger @ February 15, 2008, 12:17 AM

I beg to differ too.
If you can't write down your ideas, you're not a writer!

So if you adopt your not a mother/father?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 15, 2008, 12:04 AM

It's true that people decide what they want to do and attempt to do it, but whether they succeed or not has nothing to do with wanting it. I've always wanted to be a great musician, but it ain't gonna happen because I haven't got the ability. I could learn about counterpoint etc. but I'd never be anything other than mediocre. Luckily I can do some things quite well. I did this.

*snip*

You may be able to do something similar yourself - but no-one can teach someone who can't do it to do it. Why? Ask a geneticist/neuroscientist.

That's amazing Godot. Outstanding. Wish I could paint like that. Unfortunately it'll never happen because that sort of talent CAN NOT BE TAUGHT! Same as writing. Same as music. Same as dance. You have to be born with something, to build on something.

Sexy lady by the way.
;)