BBC Comedy College

See on BSG news about this 'comedy college' thing selecting writers for their 'schooling' in 2008.

I'm particulary interested as this is the brainchild of Micheal Jacob, as he read and enjoyed two of my sitcom scripts just before Christmas. Though they weren't for 'mainstream comedy', he nethertheless seem to appreciate them.

How does everyone think these six or so comedy writing students are going to be selected?

Well I've got dressed up ready for the casting couch method.

Not sure if I'd want to go to a school that teaches you how to write 'My Family', but stil...

The thing is if it's one of these documentary type things I'd never want to take part. I'd rather be behind the camera and IO'm sure most people would agree. About me that is!

How do you find out more, is there a page on the BBC website explaining it all?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 7, 2008, 10:09 PM

How do you find out more, is there a page on the BBC website explaining it all?

click on 'news' at the top of this page, there are no more details yet

Quote: bushbaby @ February 7, 2008, 10:20 PM

click on 'news' at the top of this page, there are no more details yet

Yeah, I got that far! :D Just wondering if there was any further info, seems not.

They seem to be saying it's like the Writers Academy they have every year for continuing drama. As far as I recall, that involves people sending in a sample script and a c.v.. But it was limited to people who had had stuff professionally produced on t.v., film, theatre etc or who had been on a Skillset course. They got training for some weeks and were then attached for three months at a time to Doctors, Casualty and Holby City. They have a pretty high rate of people getting taken on at the BBC through the scheme I believe, but obviously it's geared to those who are already getting somewhere. Hopefully this comedy one might be more open.

All I want to know is how you got in contact with Michael Jacob, heh.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea and that's all I have to say for now.

Chimes, would the first 10 points you mention be white indigenous then? ;)

Quote: Chimes of Freedom @ February 7, 2008, 10:53 PM

10 points for being from an ethnic minority
10 points for being gay
10 points for being under 25
0 points for being anything else

Applicants with most points will be selected

I'm Welsh, pretty happy most of the time but damn it! I've only ever been under 26.

To be honest i've given up on trying to get 'in' through things like that. I think i'll have a better chance by doing stand up and producing my own stuff.

So thats one less rival to worry about :)

Yeah, I'm not bothering with writing competitions or things like this any more. If I don't make it myself, then it's not meant to be.

Quote: ajp29 @ February 8, 2008, 3:52 AM

To be honest i've given up on trying to get 'in' through things like that. I think i'll have a better chance by doing stand up and producing my own stuff.

So thats one less rival to worry about :)

I'm completely with you in the sense of not waiting around for a BBC producer to come knocking when the means of production are more accesible than ever. But i see no harm in applying for this sort of scheme. throw enough mud at a wall and some of it will stick......

Susan Nickson has agreed to be a mentor to new writers, it says. Our standards are too low.