BBC Comedy College Page 3

Quote: Mark @ February 8, 2008, 7:05 PM

"Basically, the college is for people who have already done something/achieved something rather than for absolute beginners. It's designed to be a step up rather than a way in. People will be asked to send in work - either narrative or sketches, and initially assessed on that."

So it won't just be 'send stuff in' as they'd got thousands.

I wonder what 'achieving something' means?

It'd be good if they worked on a recommendations basis - like referees on a job application form.

You just keep piling the good news on and on Laughing out loud

That's the Slaggs bolloxed whichever way you look at it.

To apply for the college, people will need to have achieved something rather than being absolute beginners, because the course isn't planned for absolute beginners. There are already many more mentors than we need to cover six 'students', so I will be able to arrange suitable matches. And better to be a walnut than a peanut.

Not sure what you mean by absolute beginners, because surely you'd only pick the best writers, and many of which will be absolute beginners when it comes down to real production anyway.

Nice to see you here, but I think we need to see further proof of the walnut thing though

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 11, 2008, 5:00 PM

And better to be a walnut than a peanut.

That depends on whether you want to be a Snickers bar or a Waldorf salad...

kjs

Quote: Rob B @ February 11, 2008, 5:13 PM

Not sure what you mean by absolute beginners, because surely you'd only pick the best writers, and many of which will be absolute beginners when it comes down to real production anyway.

Nice to see you here, but I think we need to see further proof of the walnut thing though

In the drama academy one, they were looking for people who had written a broadcast episode of a drama series, or written a radio play or a performed stage play, so absolute beginners were ruled out from the very beginning.

The criteria for this would be similar, I would imagine, and I think there will be no end to the amount of writers trying to get a place on it.

Big welcome to you Micheal

This doesn't sound like it'll be a good opportunity for someone like me, but if it's an anual thing, then who knows? Maybe this time next year, I'll quailify for this thing.

To apply for the college, people will need to have achieved something rather than being absolute beginners, because the course isn't planned for absolute beginners. There are already many more mentors than we need to cover six 'students', so I will be able to arrange suitable matches. And better to be a walnut than a peanut.

What do you class as achieving something? As in you've made something that has been broadcast and not just say a pretty successful podcast that a few famous comedians have listened to and made positive comments about? :)

Ive had sketches performed on stage and on radio and Im developing a few things with a few different production companies (My own shows and writing for some tv sketch show pilots)does that count, or would that not be enough still? Would you have had to have a full half hour of your own stuff on radio or tv to qualify?

Quote: chipolata @ February 8, 2008, 10:18 AM

Incidentally, I've met Michael Jacob and he has a head like a walnut. He knows as much about comedy as a walnut as well.

I've also met Micheal jacob and his head was distinctly un-walnut like. Which is just as well because my head is like a f**king cantaloupe melon and we'd've looked daft together.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 8, 2008, 5:04 PM

He produced Two Pints, and I know he really rates Susan Nickson as a writer. And so do I. So I can't say "if he likes that crap..."

What's good about her? She has strong characters and relationships and tells a story and has a very high gag rate.

Hear goddam hear. Susan Nickson comes in for so much flack it's untrue. Two Pints ain't to everyone's taste but what comedy is? You can't deny 2 Pints' clarity of character, and the funny lines just keep on coming. Listen to the studio audience for f**k'e sake. That's real laughter, that.

When I cut into my cantaloupe melon in the morning I will try not to picture your head Perry

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 8, 2008, 8:00 PM

If we get some mates together and produce something and put it on YouTube and it gets thousands of hits, the BBC isn't going to say "well, it might be very funny and very popular but you didn't get paid for it, so we don't want to talk to you." I think it's about being pro-active and not waiting for competitions as a way in.

Another piece of great advice. YouTube is a fantastic and instantly-accessible platform to get your stuff seen. (as long as you can do your idea justice of course - there's nowt worse than some nervous stuttering guy woodenly-spouting a sketch he wrote.)
I posted "As Boys Grow" on YouTube and sent the link to a BBC producer I'd met earlier that year. The upshot being she wanted to make a show out of it. Only thing is she jumped ship to an Indie so the BBC thing kind of died, but she's took it with her and it still has a good chance of development. YouTube's fab!

Quote: Up4it @ February 11, 2008, 9:25 PM

When I cut into my cantaloupe melon in the morning I will try not to picture your head Perry

I also have a penis like a butternut squash.

Oh my God - the eyes of MJ are everywhere! Hahaha f**king hell Micheal you're omnipresent!

Shit now I'll have to behave myself.

And stop f**king swearing

Quote: Perry Nium @ February 11, 2008, 9:41 PM

Oh my God - the eyes of MJ are everywhere! Hahaha f**king hell Micheal you're omnipresent!

Shit now I'll have to behave myself.

And stop f**king swearing

I've tried to warn you lot in the past that people do actually read what you say! :P

Quote: Aaron @ February 11, 2008, 10:03 PM

I've tried to warn you lot in the past that people do actually read what you say! :P

Doubly weird Aaron as it would appear nobody actually reads what you say. Doh!