Free Agents Page 4

Fair enough Tim, if you have a vested interest, then of course you're going to big up the show. I have no axe to grind with you personally, or the production company or the writer, but I did find Free Agents to be a poor comedy.

I think my expectations were more then slightly let down as this show apparently won a 'comedy' showcase. Do not make a comedy show, advertise it as a comedy show and fill it full of comedy characters if there isn't any comedy in it.

You can try and put a spin on it by saying it's all about complex human relationships and strong emotional angst and that it can't be 'pidgeon holed'. But it can be, it's called Drama.

If anything, Free Agents reminded me more of shows like This Life and Thirty Something than anything resembling a sitcom.

Still, for someone who found the show 'very funny', you never answered my question - at what point did you laugh out loud during this episode?

I was a bit taken back by this too. It definitely wasn't a sitcom - not really any laughs - but then I didn't see any drama in this episode either. I just watched it wondering when something was going to happen or it was going to go somewhere. The 'will they/won't they' storyline didn't seem strong enough. I can enjoy comedies where nothing much happens but they're usually big on laughs, characterisation and have some sort of story, however mundane or trivial.

Did anyone else see a point to this episode, apart from set-up?

Great cast though, so I would watch again and see.

I enjoyed it, but it was very, VERY laugh light. I'm sure the original pilot had a lot more funny in it. I'll keep watching, because I did quite like it, but I can more than understand why many people might be a bit dumbfounded that a show billed as a sitcom seemed to be reasonably light on the com. I imagine it's the type of show that is going to grow as the weeks go by.

Quote: Danny K @ February 13 2009, 11:54 PM GMT

But as TimW alludes to, the relationship between the two main protagonists in F/Agents is what might engage some to encourage tuning in again.

It's the relationship aspect I liked about it. The comedy elements were just a bonus. I wasn't blown away by it but I'll certainly be watching the next episode because I'm intrigued by the characters.

I remember the pilot being funnier than the first episode of the full series, but nonetheless I enjoyed it. It's got good characters and a good premise and I expect it to get funnier.

I really enjoyed it. Didn't notice a lack of comedy. Good, fun show.

I just watched this.
It didn't make me laugh, but I did think that some bits were quite funny.
Sharon Horgan is very good indeed, but Anthony Head's part in this episode didn't work for me at all.
Didn't love it or hate it and will definitely give it another look next week.

When I declared an interest, it was only to be honest that I am working with Big Talk.
Doesn't mean a lie. I am rarely a LOL person, but I love the style of the show, the witty writing. This show is not trying to be that "zinger" type of show. To me, it's a get to know these characters and perhaps love them.
For a 35 year old estranged from his kids it rang a few bells with me. I found it very funny when Alex lost it on the phone with his ex - for all the wrong and all the right reasons.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 15 2009, 1:39 AM GMT

For a 35 year old estranged from his kids it rang a few bells with me. I found it very funny when Alex lost it on the phone with his ex - for all the wrong and all the right reasons.

Personally I think this area was covered much better in Marion and Geoff. It was brilliantly poignant and funny.

Gah!!!

Forgot about this. Does anybody know when / if this ep's to be repeated?

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 15 2009, 1:25 PM GMT

Gah!!!

Install 4OD on your computer, then you can watch Channel 4 programmes after they've been broadcast.

I quite enjoyed this and will definitely be tuning in next week. I thought there were a few moments that were pretty funny-not jokes, but funny situations. I laughed a few times at things such as Alex crying on numerous occasions after having sex, him shouting at his ex wife down the phone and the confusion when he said I love you to the pic of his kids on his phone to name a few. Sharon Horgan was ace, as usual! I'm looking forward to next week's episode already!

Gah!!!

Check out our TV guide.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/schedule/

I thought this was pretty funny - but agree with others who might say it's not in the "classic" sitcom mold.

A lot of the humour came from the uncomfortable situations and not the dialogue, which was nice.

Couldn't get Head's character at all - just didn't get the who has been f**king section round the meeting table. Odd. But we will see how it pans out.

Will certainly tune in next week.

I thought it was pretty amusing. There was some good banter / chemistry between the two leads, and some nice little touches - things like Stephen Mangan's character walking into the office after the ad break with that chair he clearly ended up having to buy.

Gah!!! Forgot about this. Does anybody know when / if this ep's to be repeated?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 15 2009, 1:38 PM GMT

Install 4OD on your computer, then you can watch Channel 4 programmes after they've been broadcast.

There are no repeats scheduled, but as Matthew says, you can catch-up online. I don't think you even need 4OD installed any more... http://www.channel4.com/programmes/free-agents

(You certainly won't need 4OD soon - the good news is Channel 4 are launching an iPlayer type site where you can watch shows in your browser window without needing Windows Media Player, logging in or any of that clunky stuff)