Free Agents Page 9

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2009, 2:12 PM GMT

To put it into some context, Dexter, a drama about a serial killer in Miami, has more laugh out loud moments then this so called 'comedy'.

To put it into some context, 1x 23 minute episode vs. 36 50 minute episodes.

'Sake.

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2009, 11:39 AM GMT

Yes. Free Agents, people.

Hitler.

I haven't watched it yet as the comments here have, kind of, put me off of it a little already.

I will be watching it though, with an open mind.

Having read complaints about the supposed filth in the programme, I watched prepared to hate it for 'playing to the gallery' as is usual in post-watershed Britcoms of today.

What happened to wit? It's been completely replaced by dick jokes.

However, I found it a decent enough little romcom. Not exactly hilarious, but somewhat Woody Allen-esque which is never a bad thing.

Will tune in again.

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2009, 2:50 PM GMT

To put it into some context, 1x 23 minute episode vs. 36 50 minute episodes.

'Sake.

1 x 23 minute episode of a 'comedy' show
36 x 50 minute episodes of a 'drama' about a serial killer

That's the context. Not duration, running time or series length. A drama is providing me with more laughs than a comedy.

'Sake

If you want to put it into a like for like context. We can take the first six episodes of Free Agents and compare it to the first six episodes of Pulling (a show very similar in tone, style, cast and production values). Hell, I'll even make the contest more one sided, we can take the first six episodes of Free Agents and put it up against Satan's own spunk puddle - Grownups.

The only comedy / dramadey / light comedy / pile of plop plops that Free Agents is better then is called Being Human on BBC Three. And that ain't saying much.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2009, 4:32 PM GMT

Being Human

Awww . . . I like that show.

Being Human is brilliant!

No Matthew, turn, run away from the light! When I heard that a new series was starting about a ghost, a vampire and a werewolf sharing a flat, I immediately thought two things -

1. Cool, the Brit version of Buffy and Angel.

2. This could be the new Rentaghost!

In fact, neither were true. Instead, I was given a low rent Hollyoaks full of 'angst' and 'growing pains' and dialogue like:

'When you were alive, he loved you. But now that you're dead...not so much.' Except that what I've written is miles better then the turgid scribblings of the Being Human typewriter monkeys.

I wish this concept had been flushed out by the League of Gentlemen team, then it would have been a cracking premise.

Anyways, I'm taking this thread off topic. To put it back on topic, there have been several brilliant Agent comedy characters -

Darren Lamb in Extras, Ralph Filthy in Filthy, Rich and Catflap and Clint Stallone / Mike Crystal in Coogan's Run. Let's hope Tony Head's character can join this alumni of great roles.

I'm enjoying it also. Yay! for the typewriting monkeys! Have a banana.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ February 17 2009, 2:58 PM GMT

Hitler.

Yes?

What is the point of trying to make people laugh when so many of you are supercilious and not worth entertaining?

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 18 2009, 1:58 AM GMT

What is the point of trying to make people laugh when so many of you are supercilious and not worth entertaining?

A ghost writes.

I've never particulary liked people and I realise why now. This is the site where it seems acceptable to make jokes about any tragedy, including (whatever one thinks about her) making jokes about a 27 year old who will be dead in severe pain in the next few weeks.
Cancer is funny, hilarious. Wankers all who dismiss it.

Ghost says ta-ta for now.

Well. That was very random.

If we can't laugh at cancer, then what can we laugh at? Clowns? Don't make me laugh... or do!

I haven't personally seen any jokes about her, but would agree that to target her specifically (as opposed to the disease in general) would be more than a little sick.

Anyway. Free Agents. Looking forward to it on Friday. Like I said before, I don't really remember laughing, but it kept my attention and kept me entertained for half an hour, and that's all I require.