Free Agents Page 11

I hadn't noticed the swearing myself.

Really, really, really, enjoyed the second episode! Not as a 'sitcom' but as a comedic take on 'modern' relationships. Enjoyable rather than funnyable.

Quote: Mark @ February 21 2009, 6:50 PM GMT

I enjoyed it, there's good chemistry between the leads. I'm starting to see people's point about the swearing though - it is a bit distracting (maybe it's because I'm listening out for it now?).

Has anyone else noticed that the episodes are all going out a week later than planned? The first episode has some reference that placed the action in early Feb (can't remember what now though), and last night's was clearly supposed to have been broadcast on the 13th.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 21 2009, 6:10 PM GMT

I found yesterday's epsiode more enjoyable, however I'm really confused about the time continuity. In the first episode Father's Day was mentioned as being soon, yet outside it was clearly autumn (lots of fallen leaves) and then in this epsiode it was Valentine's day. So are they trying to say this is all happening over a long period of time?

So there's Father's Day (June) and Autumn in ep 1 and then Feb in ep 2.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 21 2009, 8:47 PM GMT

So there's Father's Day (June) and Autumn in ep 1 and then Feb in ep 2.

The script was 4 years in development - maybe they became calendar-blind to it all with the repetitivness and tedium of picking up from the last stop/start changes.

Watched this weeks episode last night, certainly funnier than the first one. I did think it a little strange the way the two main characters relationship seemed to change in dynamic this episode.
She certainly seemed a whole lot warmer towards him this week.

This may develop quite nicely.

I'm starting to enjoy this one but I'm more interested in the main characters relationship than the 'sex toys in the dishwasher' kind of joke. It's all personal taste of course but I'd like to see Anthony Head's character toned down a bit - maybe I'm getting old. It seems to be relying on shock value alone.

My favourite bit was probably when SM did a slightly surreal impression of an ape as he walked past someone's desk.

Seemed v Green Wing (which I miss!). Apart from Stephen Mangan, are there other links to that series here does anyone know?

Sorry if that's already been mentioned - these threads get so long so quickly, it's hard to keep up!

Jx

The wonderful Sara Pascoe from Free Agents was a runner-up in The Sitcom Trials last year. See last paragraph.

This is from the press pack:

Sara was recently named Time Out's Rising Star for 2009 as well as coming second in the 2008 Nivea Funny Women Competition. Sara is also an established actress with extensive theatre credits, including playing Kate in The Taming of the Shrew, Tallulah in Involution, and Desdemona in Othello.

An experienced sketch performer and improviser, Sara's comedy theatre credits include Newsrevue, Shakespeare for Breakfast and Breakfast Bedlam, Live! Sara also appears in sketches on www.comedybox.tv and writes regularly for Newsrevue and The Treason Show.

Her sitcom, The Good Guide, is currently in early production after reaching the finals of the sitcom trials at The Soho Theatre.

Ah, those GW references are always getting in there! Can't spot any other GW connections at the moment.

The swearing does get in the way a bit - the AH character really is vile. The characters I rather like are the blonde receptionist who hates her job (a bit like the character from Drop the Dead Donkey) and the other agent, the one with the glasses, who keeps giving his opinion on things.

I'll keep watching, though, as it's really funny. So something decent to watch on Friday nights - QI, NGO, then FA!

Doesn't quite beat GW, which is a good thing, as I never want to be as obsessed by anything ever again. My nerves couldn't take it!

Quote: Sylvia @ February 23 2009, 10:21 AM GMT

and the other agent, the one with the glasses, who keeps giving his opinion on things.

He's great in it; he's most famous for Darkplace, if you've never seen it.

Quote: Mark @ February 21 2009, 6:50 PM GMT

I'm starting to see people's point about the swearing though - it is a bit distracting (maybe it's because I'm listening out for it now?).

More likely because it follows straight on from Not Going Out, which is pretty swear-light - and even if you're not watching them at broadcast, you're probably watching roughly in-order.

Quote: simon wright @ February 23 2009, 9:24 AM GMT

The wonderful Sara Pascoe from Free Agents was a runner-up in The Sitcom Trials last year. See last paragraph.

*Google Images*

Don't recognise her at all!

Well, I quite like both the first episodes, to be honest. It's not the funniest thing ever ever ever, but it did make me laugh.

Anthony Head's character is funny, and you empathise with him later on, rather than him being just a complete cock all the time.

Agree with someone about a hundred pages back (think it was earman2009) who said the pilot was funnier than the first (or second) episode. Still, I'll keep watching as it had me entertained.

Dan

I'm really enjoying Free Agents. It's not laugh-out-loud, but it doesn't try to be, I don't think. Loving the dynamic between Horgan and Mangan's characters particularly.

Yep, still loving it. Almost made me gag when he spat the toothpaste out the car window though. Errr

Just caught this for the first time since the 1st episode and really liked it!

PLUS! They appear to have an Os Mutantes song for the credits!

The song over the end credits was by The Bees if I'm not mistaken.