Free Agents Page 10

So, you mention the first 6 episodes of 'Free Agents' - so how did you see these before the rest of us?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2009, 4:32 PM GMT

1 x 23 minute episode of a 'comedy' show
36 x 50 minute episodes of a 'drama' about a serial killer

That's the context. Not duration, running time or series length. A drama is providing me with more laughs than a comedy.

'Sake

If you want to put it into a like for like context. We can take the first six episodes of Free Agents and compare it to the first six episodes of Pulling (a show very similar in tone, style, cast and production values). Hell, I'll even make the contest more one sided, we can take the first six episodes of Free Agents and put it up against Satan's own spunk puddle - Grownups.

The only comedy / dramadey / light comedy / pile of plop plops that Free Agents is better then is called Being Human on BBC Three. And that ain't saying much.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 17 2009, 12:28 AM GMT

Goodbye BSG for the final time.

Wave

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 18 2009, 1:58 AM GMT

What is the point of trying to make people laugh when so many of you are supercilious and not worth entertaining?

Don't bother trying then. :D

Ah; good stuff.

I enjoyed tonight's episode more than last week's now I'm getting used to the characters. I do think it needs reigning in slightly on the knob jokes, but there were only one or two moments that made me cringe - that's a good few less than last week.

Another good episode. Really quite enjoyable indeed.

I was just about to post about how the final joke was not a funny joke. It was simply a cringeworthy joke. When she runs over and shouts at him when it's an emotional moment about a friend dying.

Why do so many comedies confuse this with genuine humour?

I think it began from good sitcoms expertly orchestrating moments to be embarrassing for the protagonist. The funny thing there being how ridiculous it was that lots of different events added up make someone do something silly.

They didn't do nearly enough of a set up to make this more than an "Oh dear she said a wrong thing" moment for me. And it was the climactic joke! Booooooooooo

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ February 21 2009, 12:19 AM GMT

I was just about to post about how the final joke was not a funny joke.

It was funny to me.

Sorry... I was just about to post that I didn't find the final joke a funny joke.

I agree that it wasn't particualry funny but nontheless I still think it is better than a lot of stuff out there and I think the drama and acting performances carried it through. The Anthony Head character is getting funnier.

What interested me about last night's episode was how little it had to do with a talent agency (just as Steptoe was hardly a documentary about the rag and bone trade).

There was one scene in a preview theatre (that could have been set anywhere) but apart from that if you'd never seen it before you'd have no idea that it was 'about' a talent agency. Which of course, it isn't. It's about relationships. It's about losing your partner it's about finding love etc. Universal things. Few of us know what it's like to be an agent, plenty of us know what it's like to be looking for love.

One of the things that we ask at the writer's workshops is 'what's your sitcom about'? And people always reply things like 'it's about a supermarket/hairdressers/dentists (or whatever) which is possibly the least useful answer you could give. Plenty of unfunny supermarkets around; scores of dentists that won't go to six episodes.

So, what's your sitcom really about? And if you don't know, why not?

Simon
for Every1sacritic presenting the Sitcom Trials

Quote: simon wright @ February 21 2009, 12:05 PM GMT

One of the things that we ask at the writer's workshops is 'what's your sitcom about'? And people always reply things like 'it's about a supermarket/hairdressers/dentists (or whatever) which is possibly the least useful answer you could give. Plenty of unfunny supermarkets around; scores of dentists that won't go to six episodes.

So, what's your sitcom really about? And if you don't know, why not?

Good tip for newbies there. I always try to think of characters/relationships and things of that nature, rather than 'It's a sitcom based on an oil rig'. Which means nothing.

I found yesterday's epsiode more enjoyable, however I'm really confused about the time continuity. In the first episode Father's Day was mentioned as being soon, yet outside it was clearly autumn (lots of fallen leaves) and then in this epsiode it was Valentine's day. So are they trying to say this is all happening over a long period of time?

I've enjoyed both episodes. Not really laugh out loud stuff, although I did a couple of times, but very enjoyable.

I enjoyed it, there's good chemistry between the leads. I'm starting to see people's point about the swearing though - it is a bit distracting (maybe it's because I'm listening out for it now?).

Has anyone else noticed that the episodes are all going out a week later than planned? The first episode has some reference that placed the action in early Feb (can't remember what now though), and last night's was clearly supposed to have been broadcast on the 13th.