Overrated sitcoms? Page 8

Quote: Jackson Neil @ 16th January 2014, 11:59 PM GMT

Men Behaving Badly.

Crap, but overrated? I don't recall anyone with any sense or taste saying anything much good about it.

Quote: sootyj @ 9th January 2014, 12:12 PM GMT

I didn't watch Peep Show in the whole of its few seasons.

Then I was off work for a few days and there wasn't anything else on Virign On Demand.

I think I watched 4 seasons in 2 or 3 days. In terms of comedy it was like a starving man finding an all you can eat buffet in the middle of the desert.

It had maybe 5 or 6 of the best comedy performers in the UK, working together on a show that was just so unbelievably sharp and tightly written. It even managed to use VO effectively as part of the show and that's just wow unbelievable.

But ultimately it was the writing and the commitment to the essential darkness and despair that makes really good sitcom work.

Not liking Peep Show, I think people like that should be on the register.

Sorry you're just not right.

I agree. Peep Show is basically the reason I got 'into' comedy (i.e. writing stuff, using this forum etc. - rather than just as a casual regular watcher).

I used to live in Japan, and knew a lot of Americans. They used to talk about British comedy (Monty Python, and the usual...), and I'd always lend them Peep Show.

I swear that a ridiculously high percentage went through your exact same ritual of watching one episode, and then watching a few seasons in a day. It was around Season 6, and they were literally addicted to this 8-year back-log of Peep Show episodes.

However, it seems some people like "warm and fuzzy", and find Peep Show, Thick of It (etc.) abrasive and insulting. Like, say, South Park (which can also be low-brow), both are still highly-intelligently written.

If someone genuinely dislikes Peep Show, it is almost impossible we could have anything in-common comedy-wise, or, dare I say it, in general. We'd just be poles-apart.

Quote: Unfunny German @ 19th January 2014, 10:15 AM GMT

Yes, that might have been the basic idea, but it was still very funny and creative and had some great actors, most notably Ashley Jensen. But afterwards, Gervais' creativity definitely went downhill. The Office and Extras were so great because they had some great minor characters and subversive subtext, but his other work became increasingly flat and pointless. Life's too short was just David Brent as a dwarf and Derek was just Ricky Gervais poorly imitating a mentally disabled with nothing much else going on.

That one scene with Liam Neeson is worth the existence of LTS in my opinion. Comedy perfection.

Post-Extras, Karl Pilkington became Ricky's main output really. Which is fine by me, as KP is pretty much my favourite person on the planet.

One of the things I liked about Peep Show was the way in which they'd just occasionally drop all pretence at comedy and make some bald but undeniably true statement about life that took your breath away. Like that bit where Sophie forces Mark to go to a funfair and he says in voice-over something like 'I suppose doing things you don't want to do is the price you pay for not being lonely'.

But it's the contexts the writers establish through the characters that make that possible.

Miranda was too embarrassing to watch

Quote: Jackson Neil @ 16th January 2014, 11:59 PM GMT

Men Behaving Badly.

That was one of the funniest sitcoms on TV after it switched to BBC.

:( Mrs. Brown's Boys - truly over rated.

Without a doubt it has to be Keeping Up Appearances. Who on earth is it aimed at? I know people of all ages who find it painful.

Quote: paulted @ 6th March 2014, 10:04 PM GMT

Without a doubt it has to be Keeping Up Appearances. Who on earth is it aimed at? I know people of all ages who find it painful.

Wash your mouth out with soap and water and then stick your head down the toilet and flush.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I'd rather lick a public toilet clean than watch that travesty.

I'd much rather watch Keeping Up Appearances, myself.

Two Broke Girls???? Still waiting for the first gag....

I'm yet to crack a smile at Friends.

As a so called "child of the 90s" I spent the majority of my youth wondering why those 50 year olds were fooling nobody that they were in their "20-somethings" (a term that, being that age now, makes my teeth itch)

I just don't get the popularity. There are so many alternatives yet it's still broadcast, by the bucket load, on our screens.

Pass.

Porridge, Are You Being Served?, Birds Of A Feather, Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Quote: Rupert Nitrogen @ 17th April 2014, 1:22 PM BST

Mrs. Brown's Boys.

I don't think that one's overrated. I'm sure all the (relevant) critics find it to be lightweight drivel.

'overrated' is not the same as 'absurdly popular'