Overrated sitcoms? Page 5

I felt like after all the hype that Ricky Gervais gave Derek on Twitter that it was a bit of a let down, it's certainly a watchable drama but its not as strong comedically as I was expecting it to be.

FRIENDS has to be one of the most over-rated shows, ever. The first series was interesting and funny, but it became the same week after week.

Sitcoms I personally don't like and feel are overrated:
Community
Friends
Office (esp. US Office)

Sitcoms I like/love but still feel are overrated:
Fawlty Towers
Peep Show
The Big Bang Theory
Extras

Blackadder?

Quote: David Smith @ June 11 2013, 9:51 PM BST

Blackadder?

Season 1 probably, not a big fan. And maybe 2, which was good, but not great. 3 and 4 were brilliant.

Three was the real peak, despite being as thin as a rake Hugh Laurie nailed the regent.
I know Fry played Wellington in it, but if he had been in weekly with a General Melchet type of stance it would be a classic.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ June 12 2013, 10:02 AM BST

Three was the real peak, despite being as thin as a rake Hugh Laurie nailed the regent.
I know Fry played Wellington in it, but if he had been in weekly with a General Melchet type of stance it would be a classic.

Yes! Completely agree with Teddy here.

And: If I remember well, Blackadder refered to the Prince with expressions like "fat slob" or "walrus face" several times. With Laurie being so thin that was a bit strange...but funny.

Outnumbered - I just don't get it and I don't want to either!

You not on your own about Outnumbered which is ironic.

Quote: aquasplash3 @ June 12 2013, 11:20 PM BST

Outnumbered - I just don't get it and I don't want to either!

Not a sitcom I'd love to rewatch but had good fun while watching it. Probably overrated though.

Outnumbered is a bit Miranda, in that it was a mainstream sitcom success, and they're so rare in this country that people tend to go a bit over board.

Unimpressed I agree that The Wright Way isn't the funniest. I was disappointed but it has an occasional funny "Eltonism" along the way. I think The Office was really funny but you had to see it from the very beginning to know all the characters, but if you watched a random episode as a one off you would think "what the hell is funny about this", apart from Brent's dance possibly. Also there are lots of people who don't like Ricky Gervais and this can spoil their enjoyment of the show. I have the same problem with the one with the glasses in The Inbetweeners but I watched the movie and found it quite funny. Each to his own I guess.

On The Buses was huge in the UK and then I found it just as 'over' with the masses Down Under when I emigrated there. It is being shown here in Sydney on pay per view at the moment and I've got to say I find it cringingly poor. On the other hand Fawlty Towers and Steptoe were nothing short of genius. I've tried to watch The Big Bang Theory but can't take more than a couple of minutes, yet I have a mate who has a similar sense of humour to mine who absolutely loves it. I could take or leave The Young Ones and although I enjoyed it when I was younger I now find Get Smart a three or four joke turn-off.
Recent likes include One Foot In The Grave, Outnumbered and Lead Balloon. Of course if you give up on a programme early you can never understand why it should become popular.
Cheers, John.

Drop The Dead Donkey (Sketch show - the News Huddlines)

Quote: AgentGinger @ June 7 2013, 10:30 AM BST

I think Mat Horne had been made to watch episodes of "Peanuts" and told to play the whole thing as Charlie Brown.

I always thought he was made to watch The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and told to play the whole thing as the wardrobe