- 28th February: Radio 4 Extra to celebrate 42 years of Hitchhiker's Guide
- 1978 - 2018
- BBC Radio 4
- 32 (6 series)
- Simon Jones, Geoffrey McGivern, Peter Jones, William Franklyn, John Lloyd, Mark Wing-Davey, Stephen Moore, Susan Sheridan and others
- Douglas Adams, Eoin Colfer and Dirk Maggs
- Dirk Maggs
- Dirk Maggs, David Morley and Helen Chattwell
Arthur Dent discovers his house is to be bulldozed to make way for a bypass. Later he finds that Earth is to be destroyed as well. He escapes on a Vogon spaceship with his friend Ford Prefect.
Unable to return to Earth, Arthur becomes a reluctant space tourist. He is soon traversing the universe with his friend Ford Prefect, who is employed by Megadodo Publications to write entries for The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Also along for the ride is an alien with two heads called Zaphod Beeblebrox, a paranoid robot android called Marvin and Tricia McMillan (aka Trillian), the only other survivor of Earth's destruction.
The show is to return in 2018 for a sixth series... The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: Hexagonal Phase.
- Don't Panic!
- Part of
- Production companies
- Also known as
- HHGTTG (Acronym)
- This was the first BBC radio comedy to be recorded in stereo. The title music is Journey of the Sorcerer by The Eagles. Series 3-5 music by Paul 'Wix' Wickens.
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Wednesday 8th March 1978 on BBC Radio 4 at 10:30pm
- Last new broadcast
- Thursday 12th April 2018 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Upcoming repeats
- The Hexagonal Phase Episode 4: Tuesday at 6:30pm on Radio 4
- The Primary Phase Episode 1: Sunday 8th March at 8pm on Radio 4 Extra
- The Primary Phase Episode 2: Sunday 8th March at 8:50pm on Radio 4 Extra
- The Primary Phase Episode 3: Sunday 8th March at 9:30pm on Radio 4 Extra
- The Primary Phase Episode 4: Sunday 8th March at 10:10pm on Radio 4 Extra
- The Primary Phase Episode 5: Sunday 8th March at 11:55pm on Radio 4 Extra
- The Primary Phase Episode 6: Monday 9th March at 12:25am on Radio 4 Extra
- The Hexagonal Phase Episode 5: Tuesday 10th March at 6:30pm on Radio 4