Overrated sitcoms? Page 9

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 17th April 2014, 2:40 PM BST

I don't think that one's overrated. I'm sure all the (relevant) critics find it to be lightweight drivel.

'overrated' is not the same as 'absurdly popular'

You're kind of right

I don't know how popular it was but The Inbetweeners was vulgar and poor.

Quote: Rupert Nitrogen @ 17th April 2014, 1:22 PM BST

Porridge, Are You Being Served?, Birds Of A Feather, Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Porridge? Really?

Still the greatest sitcom this country has ever produced.

Although I'll give you Mrs. Brown's Boys. Just don't get it. But I have mates who tell me its so funny. Each to their own I suppose.

I cannot for the life of me see the appeal of Mrs. Brown's Boys. Massively overrated. I have tried to watch it on a few occasions as I felt I must be missing something but no, it's complete drivel.

I have read this whole thread now, and there being about 30 combined mentions of Peep Show, The Office and Extras makes my head spin.

Moderately-intelligent people really do have different tastes.

I've known Americans who have watched one episode of PS for the first time, and then subsequently watched all 8 series within a week or two. Such is their complete addiction.

Quote: Otterfox @ 13th May 2014, 4:49 PM BST

I cannot for the life of me see the appeal of Mrs. Brown's Boys. Massively overrated. I have tried to watch it on a few occasions as I felt I must be missing something but no, it's complete drivel.

Not this American! Sick

Not sure if it's really possible to judge sitcoms made decades ago, e.g. Porridge & Fawlty Towers which were presumably a product of comedic tastes at the time. I don't find either as hilarious as my parents do, especially not in comparison with stuff made now like Peep Show, but it's hard to say they're overrated.

I think the reason we liked Porridge and Fawlty Towers is because we recognised characters there and story lines reflecting the times.

Yeah I guess that's what I mean. Mark and Jez of Peep Show do the same for a lot of people now, but I suspect in 30 years time that show will be considered pretty jaded.

I agree Porridge isn't necessarily out and out hilarious, but I'm not sure that's the only criterion. You could take all the gags out of Porridge and it would still have something to offer.

For me, Gavin & Stacey, Coming Of Age and The Inbetweeners are very overrated.

I found Two Pints Of Lager... became very overrated over time. Enough so to inspire about 5-6 more series than were welcome.

Never got Only Fools And Horses meself but I'm in the minority here... People often say The Young Ones is overrated and dated but I still love it.
PS I know Blackadder is a very strong piece of work but anyone who STILL quotes it should be made to fellate Rowan Atkinson.

Quote: codename 47 @ 29th August 2013, 2:55 AM BST

I'd have to say Only Fools and Horses. Continually up there in the best of all time list. Continually failing to ever make me laugh, just doesn't work for me, for whatever reason.
But you know, (Only Fools and) Horses for courses and all that.

And I wouldn't say this next one was massively overrated except for everyone at my school who wouldn't shut up about it, so I'm putting it here just based on that small demographic.
Bottom. I've never found violent slapstick that funny and without that all you have is 2 guys competing to out-do each other in sad disgustingness...no thanks.

I would like to be nominated for slowest-ever response to a post but I only just started reading this thread. I normally watch TV and dribble.
Only Fools And Horses yup - just never hit my funny bone.
Bottom IS funny but only once or twice. I always got the impression they dashed it off in a weekend between beers and fags. The joy of The Young Ones is that there's so much going on - wedged-in skits, live bands, puppets etc... Far denser in my opinion. But each to his own (this is English for 'F**k off if you don't agree with me').

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 20th June 2014, 8:22 AM BST

The joy of The Young Ones is that there's so much going on - wedged-in skits, live bands, puppets etc... Far denser in my opinion.

And that's what makes it so ropey to many others. It's like they never had a strong enough single idea, but instead threw every last inane thought at the show. It's not really a sitcom in the traditional sense: each episode generally has two almost entirely unconnected plots, with some random anarchy scattered alongside. Many episodes are far more like a thematic sketch show.

Surely you miss the point if you think vulgar means bad? Just a different audience than you?

Quote: Aaron @ 20th June 2014, 3:22 PM BST

And that's what makes it so ropey to many others. It's like they never had a strong enough single idea, but instead threw every last inane thought at the show. It's not really a sitcom in the traditional sense: each episode generally has two almost entirely unconnected plots, with some random anarchy scattered alongside. Many episodes are far more like a thematic sketch show.

I beg to differ. Years ago I wrote a 'Chortle' article arguing that The Young Ones is a sitcom that breaks the rules of sitcom, just like Sgt Pepper is an album that etc etc. The above comments apply more to Filthy, Rich and Catflap in my opinion (I actually enjoyed that too, but far less).