Overrated sitcoms? Page 4

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2013, 11:12 PM BST

His moustache was quite the wit.

Or for those of you from oop north;
His moustache was quite a t'wit.

Quote: Rupe @ May 22 2013, 10:46 AM BST

I found Gavin and Stacey pretty dull, mainly because the supposed lead characters were so insipid. Rob Brydon was good in it, but underused.

I agree. My parents loved it. It's not so much a comedy than a dreary Cold Feet-type slice o'life light romantic drama in a sitcom slot.

Doesn't "overrated" just mean "other people like this more than me"?

No, it means "I think this is given higher critical praise than it really, objectively, deserves."

Quote: sootyj @ May 22 2013, 11:10 AM BST

The Wright Way

Was 'The Wright Way' even 'rated' by people? I think it's fair to say that it was universally hated by everyone except Ben Elton.

I think that 'Marion & Geoff' and 'Peep Show' are overrated - although they're still okay.

Quote: Matthew M @ June 5 2013, 4:07 PM BST

Was 'The Wright Way' even 'rated' by people? I think it's fair to say that it was universally hated by everyone except Ben Elton.

Not fair. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would agree that I've never quite 'got' the hype around Peep Show. It's good at best, certainly not one of the finest like some people seem to think.

As much as I like all of Ricky Grvais's work I have never understood how The Office became so popular. Whilst, yes, it is funny, it's just not as good as Extras in my opinion.

I agree about Gavin & Stacey being dull. I watched the first series only last year, as I missed it when it was first broadcast, and loads of people told me it was really funny, so was looking forward to a treat when I finally caught up with it. After the first episode I wondered what all the fuss was about, but presumed it would get better. I watched the rest of the series to discover that it was a pretty dull drama with some "light comedy touches" from the two supprting characters. I don't recall the two leads being given any funny lines, and I think Mat Horne had been made to watch episodes of "Peanuts" and told to play the whole thing as Charlie Brown.
Fine as wallpaper TV if you're doing something else and want some lights and noise in the background, but I won't be watching any more of it.

I wasn't that keen on Gavin & Stacey when it was first on and found it quite boring, but I watch the repeats ALL THE TIME. Very odd that it somehow got under my skin. I think mainly because of Bryn. But I now find it very watchable indeed.
The scenes with Gavin and Stacey themselves are the least interesting though.

I think Gavin & Stacey is the sitcom that best defines this thread.
Huge hoo-ha about it.
Never got it.

Quote: Lazzard @ June 7 2013, 10:38 AM BST

I think Gavin & Stacey is the sitcom that best defines this thread.
Huge hoo-ha about it.
Never got it.

I always liked it; warm, funny, good characters. (Apart from G & S themselves.)

It was fine.
Just felt it had more traction than it really deserved.

It was G & S inherent sweetness that made it a success, as well as beautifully judged acting,

Quote: Will Carter @ June 6 2013, 4:06 PM BST

I would agree that I've never quite 'got' the hype around Peep Show. It's good at best, certainly not one of the finest like some people seem to think.

Welcome. Wave