Red Dwarf X Page 24

I think the main reason I'm watching it is a combination of curiosity and nostalgia. Curiosity about where the writers are going to take the story and nostalgia simply because I like these characters and the opportunity to see them in new situations is to good to pass up. It has disappointed me considerably for reasons I have already pointed out but for the first fifteen minutes of last night's episode I found myself chuckling and enjoying the company of this eccentric foursome (Lister especially). I have already resigned myself to the fact that it will never hit the heights of 1-6 but I'm willing to invest half an hour a week in Red Dwarf X and who knows? It may surprise us..

With this series and BTE the writer seems to be nicking old ideas from past series

I.e the despair squid, casandra, queeg etc

Seems to me he is struggling to come up with decent new ideas - so why bother?

He risks sullying the name of what's been a decent show

And some of the 'jokes' in this series particularly have been dreadful

I lost count of the number of times I rolled my eyes and groaned at what was supposed to be a funny line last night

Must do better

Quote: lofthouse @ October 12 2012, 5:39 PM BST

With this series and BTE the writer seems to be nicking old ideas from past series

I.e the despair squid, casandra, queeg etc

Seems to me he is struggling to come up with decent new ideas - so why bother?

He risks sullying the name of what's been a decent show

And some of the 'jokes' in this series particularly have been dreadful

I lost count of the number of times I rolled my eyes and groaned at what was supposed to be a funny line last night

Must do better

I know what you mean, as soon as the chinesr whispers gag began I thought to myself "Oh Doug"

I quite liked the Chinese Whispers bit.
I think the difference for me is with series 7 & 8 I had high hopes and watched it analytically.
With this series I didn't so I'm just watching it for fun.

And enjoying it far more.

For some reason I enjoyed this more than last week's episode. The two sub plots started off a bit disjointed but the overall story was stronger I thought. Also the jokes made me laugh more. I even enjoyed the Chinese whispers joke, mostly because of just how tortured it was.

Agreed, this ep was better than the first.

I found the second episode terribly boring and even annoying. The opening scene wih Rimmer and Kryten choosing the new computer was filled with predictable and flat jokes. The dialogue between the hangovere'd Lister and "his father" was nearly unwatchable. I think I'll work my way through this series for the old times sake but it won't be easy.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 15 2012, 9:10 AM BST

The dialogue between the hangovere'd Lister and "his father" was nearly unwatchable.

Really? Thought that was a great scene myself. It seems to have been singled out in many reviews for praise; but that's comedy, what works for one, falls flat to another.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 12 2012, 9:20 PM BST

I quite liked the Chinese Whispers bit.
I think the difference for me is with series 7 & 8 I had high hopes and watched it analytically.
With this series I didn't so I'm just watching it for fun.

And enjoying it far more.

Exactly.
Relax, comedy fans, and you'll find you enjoy things so much more.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 15 2012, 9:13 AM BST

Really? Thought that was a great scene myself. It seems to have been singled out in many reviews for praise; but that's comedy, what works for one, falls flat to another.

I think it also depends on whether you buy into that idea of Lister being his own father. I don't unfortunately (I preferred the original idea that both writers had to make his father a normal guy) so couldn't enjoy the scene. I can understand why people would though.

I do think that the fact that the dialogue throughout the show is a huge problem though. Sometimes it just about gets away with it but at other times it's incredibly tedious.

Quote: zooo @ October 15 2012, 10:04 AM BST

Exactly.
Relax, comedy fans, and you'll find you enjoy things so much more.

There's such a thing as being too relaxed, zooo. ;)

(Although generally I agree with you)

Half-time thoughts.

Oh dear....

It's not been perfect so far, but the first half has been the most enjoyable 15 minutes of Red Dwarf X for me. Here's hoping the second half doesn't bomb.

The second half is bombing. This Jesus stuff is just plain weak.

Jesus wept.

Slow start, but realy enjoyed from the point they went back in time onwards. Big laugh at the revelation that the food Cat ate at the start was actually Lister's removed organs.