Red Dwarf X Page 22

Not a patch on last week, but still entertaining stuff and a reasonable hit rate with laughs (even if they weren't particularly big ones this time!)

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 12 2012, 3:26 AM BST

this series is doing its very best to return to the golden era of Red Dwarf, and it's actually doing a pretty good job of it.

+1.

Quote: Jinky @ October 11 2012, 10:30 PM BST

Red Dwarf is the Rolling Stones of comedy....

...I suspect this series is Red Dwarf's 'Voodoo Lounge'.

I enjoyed "Voodoo Lounge". As long as it's no "Dirty Work" (that honour goes to "Back o Earth" I think) everything's ok and Red Dwarf is not lost.
But I must say the posts here don't make me very eager to watch ep. 2 on YouTube.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 12 2012, 3:26 AM BST

Plenty to like, some stuff to dislike. Some great gags, some not so great gags. Last week was probably better. Next week might be better than this week. That's Red Dwarf. That's all comedy. F**k me, give the series a chance before you start boycotting it or whatever. Far as I can see, this series is doing its very best to return to the golden era of Red Dwarf, and it's actually doing a pretty good job of it.

Yup.

Was a bit worried that the second episode wouldn't be as good as the first, but two episodes in and I realise my worries were unfounded, this show just gets better and better.

One thing that bothers me.....considering the size of the 'Red Dwarf' spaceship, why do several scenes give the impression that members of the crew are sitting in 'Starbug'?

Maybe they go there for a bit of privacy, or something.

Overall I enjoyed the episode. The Lister scene alone would have saved the entire episode, but I always enjoy Rimmer picking on Kryton too. The Chinese whisper plotline was pretty weak and diminished the ep a bit, but so far I think series X is working well and that has been a good surprise.

I thought the Chinese Whisper gag would go somewhere funnier, but I did like the episode. I knew the Lister talking to himself bit would eventually have some meaning, all ended really fast though!

It's not classic RD for me, but it's doing a better job than BTE.

Likeable but not crap, I can deal with that :)

Whats BTE?

I liked Lister deciding to get hammered, that's what I would do if I was trapped in that crate in deep space. I actually thought that this episode was better than last week's; the whole Rimmer's brother/simulant plot line really rubbed me up the wrong way, at least this week's story was more about the mundanity of life aboard Red Dwarf. Rimmer suddenly coming into contact with his brother and said brother dying at the end of the episode seemed a bit cheap and unearned to me. A distress call out of the blue is a bit of a cop out, I wouldn't mind so much if they came across a planet or asteroid, jumped into Starbug to investigate and then made the discovery but the 'distress call' plot device appeared a bit lazy. Quite liked the computer story line, seems plausible that a futuristic computer would be capable of predicting the actions of the crew. Reminiscent of the computer on the 'Holoship' in series 5 but put to good use in this episode.

Quote: Scott Evans @ October 12 2012, 11:01 AM BST

Whats BTE?

Back To Earth.

Quote: TBone @ October 12 2012, 11:05 AM BST

A distress call out of the blue is a bit of a cop out, I wouldn't mind so much if they came across a planet or asteroid, jumped into Starbug to investigate and then made the discovery but the 'distress call' plot device appeared a bit lazy.

That was down to the rod Rimmer removed, wasn't it..? Kryten said it could contract space, and even time, and Rimer handling it inadvertantly caused it to bring someone related to him to their point in space and time. It wasn't really made clear enough, but that's what I took from that bit; otherwise the pulling out the rod and explaining it bit served no purpose.

Thats what I took from it too, but I also thought it wasn't clearly outlined. These are all niggly points though, I'm pleased with X, at least we're pointing out little problems we have and are not saying 'what a pile of crap'

Whatever anyone says, these work much better for the four of them together than any of the non-four of the them together episodes.

I liked it. It wasn't perfect but the computer doing what Rimmer would've done was v. funny, as was the Chinese Whisper gag (I think I was probably slow on the uptake there but when I got it I laughed). I like the 'Dad' storyline too. These are all ideas that Red Dwarf was always great at, and the sort of thing that I felt was missing from the last couple of (proper) series. It's fab that those ideas are getting explored again and pretty much what the Dwarf was always about for me.

Dan

Quote: Nick @ October 12 2012, 1:51 AM BST

Several unrelated plots bolted together,

Don't entirely agree; they were two separate stories, but they interwove and affected each other; one even bringing about the resolution in the other. That's pretty satisfying.

I hope they continue afterwards and we get a XI series