Red Dwarf X Page 19

I've only just had the chance to watch this so my thoughts...

The opening scene worried me as it was basically a rip from series 3 but from then on I felt a sense of relief. Series 7, 8 and Back to Earth were all poor imo and this was generally better. Getting back to the 4 main characters was certainly a good move and the writing was mostly ok. One or two decent jokes and nothing as cringeworthy as some of the stuff in the past. Chris Barrie also proved that he is still a very fine comedy actor.

However, I would agree that a lot of it was very predictable and old-fashioned. If it had been a new sitcom then I probably would have judged it more harshly as I didn't find myself laughing often enough. Something about the tone and the pacing of the episode also seemed wrong. The scene with the simulant was far too rushed and it didn't work and the tone felt more pantomime than any of the first 6 series.

Overall though not too bad and not too good.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 7 2012, 6:04 PM BST

The majority of the commentaries are positive. Looks like I'll have to order the DVD when it's out (Damn, we don't have DAVE in Switzerland!).

I watched the episode on Dave's website. Not sure if it's locked down to UK people though, or if there is a way round it.

Quote: ShoePie @ October 7 2012, 6:09 PM BST

I watched the episode on Dave's website. Not sure if it's locked down to UK people though, or if there is a way round it.

Oh, thanks for the tip I'll try it next time.

...no, can't watch it on the website!

Try YouTube.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ October 7 2012, 6:49 PM BST

Try YouTube.

This seems to work. Thanks, I didn't expect it to be on YouTube...

It definitely had the feel of the classic series 1-6 but story and jokes (to say it with a Perrin quote : some jokes were really Crap-ville, Arizona...or Kindergarten-Ville) didn't do much for me. I hope the next episodes will get better...still, a promising start to a better future. If this turns out to be the last series ever then it's a better way to bow out than series 7 and 8.

It felt messy and not everything worked for me (the first few scenes were a painful experience - the pig racing, Stirmaster, Rimmer calling his exams the 'astro-navs') but it won me round by the end. It had better improve as the series goes on, though. 5.5/10

Quote: ThisisJoeyC @ October 8 2012, 7:11 PM BST

Rimmer calling his exams the 'astro-navs'

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with that?

Quote: zooo @ October 8 2012, 7:15 PM BST

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with that?

For me, and my insane mind, that jarred as he always called them 'astro-navigation exams' in the past (early early series, don't recall them being referred to later on) and nobody as uptight as him would get all colloquial with something that important to him.

Obviously, Doug Naylor deserves nothing short of execution for that.

Quote: ThisisJoeyC @ October 8 2012, 7:20 PM BST

For me, and my insane mind, that jarred as he always called them 'astro-navigation exams' in the past (early early series, don't recall them being referred to later on) and nobody as uptight as him would get all colloquial with something that important to him.

Ahhh, I see.

:D

Quote: ThisisJoeyC @ October 8 2012, 7:20 PM BST

After the 10 extra years, which we didn't see, of referring to them as 'astro-navigation exams' he might possibly have shortened the phrase.

Unimpressed

Two things I couldn't get used to -

Krytens mask and the almost movie look to the way it looks on screen, maybe because of the cameras that are available.

Two things I like -

The set design and the episodes being a contained story at 30 mins each.

How come their all back together anyway?

At the end of series 8 didn't Rimmer go into an alternate dimension (& tried it on with a nun!)

Dont think the series 8 finale has been resolved, right now they are working backwards because 'Back to Earth' takes place after series 10 in the timeline.

Quote: lofthouse @ October 8 2012, 10:50 PM BST

How come their all back together anyway?

At the end of series 8 didn't Rimmer go into an alternate dimension (& tried it on with a nun!)

One of the extras of the Series 8 DVD was the "original alternate ending" in which Rimmer gets back through the mirror and they all discover that the cure for the stuff that's eating away Red Dwarf is a simple chemical (with a really long name) that is easy to make up as it's basic first year chemistry.
They pour it all over the ship and hey ho, Red Dwarf is fine.

But alas they eventually opted for a rewritten ending which is the one where Rimmer kicks the Grim Reaper in the gonads.